Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, July 21, 2014

15 Miles....Enough Said!!

The title says it all.

I had my long run scheduled on Saturday and since my half marathon training run a couple weeks ago, I wanted to try and up the mileage.  Wasn't sure exactly how far I wanted to go over the 13 mile mark, then I read Kristina's post over at Blog About Running.  She was scheduled for 15 miles on Saturday so I thought I would throw down 15 miles as well.

I planned an out and back route directly from my house which would put me on the road for about 4 miles then I could hit one of the canal trails for the additional 3.5 miles before turning around.  The entire run would be pretty flat giving me a good indication of where my fitness level is right now.  I hit the road about 4am and the weather was great, I was looking at about 85 degrees and low humidity.  Headed into the run, the plan was to break the run up into 5 mile parts and this really worked out well for me. 

Overall it was a fantastic run, and here are the results from my Garmin:



The weather cooperated for the entire run.  I was able to beat the sun and even got this great view in the last two miles as I was closing out the run.


Here are a few take aways from this run:

1) Fueling - I forgot to purchase some gel shots last Thursday when we were at the running store so I didnt have any for my run.  These make a huge difference towards the end of the run when you are running out of gas.  I'll make sure to have some for all my future long runs.

2) Hydration - I have been hydrating pretty well and my pack provided me plenty of water throughout the run.  At this point I am going to keep increasing milage to check what the breaking point is for my water pack.

3) Music - As this was going to be my longest run to date, I brought my headphones along just in case I needed some assitance later in the run.  This was HUGE!!  About mile 9 I threw in the headphones, cranked the music, and zoned out.  Really helped me get to the 13 mile mark where I could push for the final 2 miles.

4) Fitness Level - I am starting to see that my comfort spot is right around 8:30 min/mile.  I am able to keep that at a steady pace for long periods during these runs.  Of course I had a few pit stops which jumped my average pace above 9 min/mile but I am feeling really good about where my fitness level is right now.

5) Elevation Gain - At this point I am a huge believer in elevation gain.  Adding hills to my training runs is really getting my legs in shape and making me confident on these flat runs.  I am looking forward to our upcoming races to see what I can do when I really push with the competition.

When was your last long run?  Do you have a comfortable pace that you can hold during those longer distances??

25 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job! I did 13.5 miles--split up 5.25 in am and 8.25 pm--part of the marathon training program. My husband got me a new garmin for our anniversary (my old one was taking a LONG time to locate satelites and ALWAYS losing contact). So I am trying to be really good about wearing it--I have joined the club of using it as a watch--
    The kids and I went on vacation last week to visit cousins in MI and IN--we hiked the dunes in Warren Dune State park in MI--about 170 feet of vertical gain (It seems straight up) in sand--whew!
    I am trying to make my comfortable pace 8--to qualify for Boston...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13.5 is a good set of runs also. Awesome, welcome to the club, I wear mine all the time too. Oh man 170 feet in sand would be brutal.

      See this is why you need a blog. We could all follow you on your journey to BQ.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pace for 15 miles! I knew running those climbs would make your legs strong! I bet running fairly flat felt pretty good :) I wouldn't dream of tackling a long run with out music lol Great picture of the morning :) In the winter I was able to hold a 9:30ish pace for 9 or 10 miles, but now I can't even think about that. I feel like I have really lost it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking that I've been running the hills. I did 13 without music but I was just trying to change it up. The summer has been pretty tough, you will get it all back when things cool down.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job on your 15 miler!!!! I love my hydration pack and headphones for those long runs. :) I'm in awe that you got up at 4 a.m. I could never do that! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Hydration pack is a must but that was the first run with music in a long time. Ive been doing 4am for a few weeks now so you get used to it. Plus it beats 105 degrees lol.

      Delete
  4. Awesome!! You will need to sign up for a marathon around the October mark if you're going to keep upping your long run!

    You finished that 15 A LOT faster than me, haha. Maybe you should sign up for the Portland Marathon and pace me, just a thought! Just putting it out there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of half marathons lined up until February so I need to work on speed work to get my pace dialed in.

      Ha...Mrs Schlub and I have a lot of destination races on our list unfortunately Portland is not one of them right now. Plus your training is going excellent and you are going to kill Portland no assitance needed, I know it.

      Delete
  5. Great work! Some fuel definitely helps during late miles. I always like the saying that hills are speeding work in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would of helped me in the last two miles, those were pretty tough. I agree with that saying, as tough as it is, I love those hills.

      Delete
  6. Dude! Your upping your distances fast! Seriously, at this rate you'll be hitting marathon(s) by October. Given you have the half first (I think), maybe start trying to work some speed into the mix now that the distance isn't at all a concern. I need to figure out my nutrition, I never seem to get it right! I hate music on my runs, for some reason it just really annoys me haha.

    Averaged 17 min/mile this weekend - no joke! But it was a really hard!

    Keep rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I'm just following the CordisHall training plan lol. I have a few half's before the full marathon so I will definitely take your advise and add some speed work to my plan. When I am on trails I dont need music but these flat road runs get a little repetative so the music helped a lot.

      I saw that run, totally epic run, who cares about 17 min/mile.

      Delete
  7. Go YOU!! I love your take-away points--I don't listen to music when I run but am wondering if plugging late when the miles get tough will help. I also am trying to find my comfort pace (I wish it was yours! lol!) and totally agree with hill work being so helpful when it comes down to race time, if the course has hills or not, you'll be ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you arent learning from your runs you arent becoming a better runner right?? The music helped in the late miles even though the cords drive me crazy. Love the hills, the elevation is really getting my legs into shape.

      Delete
  8. Great run! You did all of that on no fuel? I am curious to hear if you feel ever better when you eat something next time! And it soooo makes sense that the elevation training is helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I didnt have any, I need to make sure I get some before my next long run. I am totally on the elevation bandwagon, I'm telling anyone that wants to listen how much it helps lol.

      Delete
  9. NICE RUN!!! Gosh I miss long runs so much. My longest run since my marathon was only like 7 miles and that was last month. :(
    Music tends to help me through as well. I definitely get less bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting better is the most important thing. There will always be more runs. Yeah the music helped get my mind off things in the later miles.

      Delete
  10. Noice jarb! Way to go! And good for you for learning from each run. I personally gave up music a year ago now. Sometimes I miss it, but last time I tried to wear headphones, it was too distracting to me and I ripped them out. It's good you're experimenting with your nutrition and hydration! That will be important come race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. The cord on the headphones drives me crazy and that is why I havent used them in so long. I didnt think about it as experimenting but I guess you can call it that. You know me, always in control of my running plan lol

      Delete
  11. Wow, 8:30-9:00 pace for a 15-miler? You're runner strong and seem to be hitting your stride. Good job! Better get out and buy some fuel before your next long run!

    Love the view for your final few miles. Way to beat the heat, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm moving right along on the way to our first ever marathon. Yeah it was pretty silly to forget fuel, I could of totally bonked at some point.

      Got to appreciate the views, one of the main reasons we are involved in this sport.

      Delete
  12. Wow, great run!!! And looks like awesome views to boot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Yeah it was a very welcoming sight as I was finishing up.

      Delete
  13. Great job on your run! Breaking it up into smaller chunks really helps with those longer runs. My last long run was 10 miles on Sunday. Not new for me, but it came at the end of a nearly 40 mile week which is relatively high for me. It's only up from there, though, and I prepare for Marine Corps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!