Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, June 16, 2014

Weekly Training Recap 6/8 - 6/14

I am making a strong effort to stick closely to the 10% rule.  I have been injury free for a few months now and the last thing I need is to increase my miles too quickly and end up injuring myself again. 

Weekly Miles:

6/8/14 - Planned - Rest Day               Actual - Rest Day               Elevation Gain - 0
Ran a 10 mile trail run the day before so Sunday has become a regular rest day.

6/9/14 - Planned - 3 miles                  Actual - 3 miles                  Elevation Gain - 43 ft
Recovery run/endurance run.  Ran at 5pm in about 105* heat and planned to keep my pace really slow just to get the blood flowing in my legs.  This was a good recovery run.

6/10/14 - Planned - 3.5 miles            Actual - 3.5 miles                Elevation Gain - 1300 ft
Trail run before work.  Great views when I hit the summit and a ton of elevation gain.  This has become my favorite work out each week.

6/11/14 - Planned - Rest Day            Actual - Rest Day                Elevation Gain - 0
Usually the day after my hill runs I need another rest day.  The rapid uphill and downhill on the trail wreck my legs pretty good so the added rest really helps.

6/12/14 - Planned - 3 miles              Actual - 3.5 miles                  Elevation Gain - 1300 ft
Mrs Schlub took the day off so I jumped at the opportunity to hit the mountain 2 days in the same week. 

6/13/14 - Planned - Rest Day         Actual - Rest                         Elevation Gain - 0
Fridays have become my second dedicated rest day so I have fresh legs for my long runs on Saturday.

6/14/14 - Planned - 13.1 miles       Actual - 13.1 miles                Elevation Gain - 1450 ft
Fathers Day Half Marathon.  Didnt plan very well and the run put a hurting on me.  But I finished and now that it's over, I'm pretty pleased with the accomplishment and know what I need to work on moving forward.

Total: Miles - 23.10 miles                Elevation Gain - 4093 ft

In my opinion it was a great week.  Three trail runs overall, some great elevation gain, and marked the half marathon off my list of distances.  Need to work on the mental part of my fitness but if I keep up these trail runs I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of practice.

How was your week last week??  Do you track Sunday to Saturday like I do or follow a different training cycle period (example - 10 day plan)??

17 comments:

  1. Great week! I like that you track elevation as well as distance.
    I track Monday to Sunday which can be a bit odd since Monday is my rest day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive seen a few bloggers that track elevation, so I pulled the blogger steal.

      Ive seen the Mon - Sun schedule, pretty common. Mrs Schlub actually uses that schedule too.

      Delete
  2. GREAT week!! Ending the week with 13.1 is the best. That elevation gain was so serious and you conquered it. I don't know if ultrarunners didn't talk about it a lot in the past or what, but recently I've noticed that they are pretty open about walking during steep inclines and even looking forward to walking inclines during races. I've always thought of the elites as being so hardcore that they pretty much never walked, but hearing them talk about that has really put things into perspective for me... not that I have any type of elevation here at all, but for me I do conquer some mountains someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ** but for when I do conquer some mountains someday :)

      (stupid typo!)

      Delete
    2. It was pretty nice to end the week with the half marathon. You know I always had that idea about ultra runners as well. But I've seen the same as you that they hike different parts of their long runs. Crazy.

      Delete
    3. Definitely! I saw a video interview the other day with Anton and he said sometimes he does 18 minute miles hiking up a steep incline. I'm sure it would take me MUCH longer if it's taking him 18 minutes, but I would never imagine him taking the long to go a mile ever!

      Delete
    4. Wow 18 minutes, that really changes my view of them. Makes them seem a little bit mortal...just a little bit lol.

      Delete
  3. I like that you put in elevation gain...I, too, notice in long trail runs it is the norm to fast-hike steep inclines...I was actually told by other runners to walk the inclines of my 50k...I should have listened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm on an elevation gain kick right now.

      Ah now that is good advice, I actually do the opposite on my training runs, run the climbs and walk the flats, what is wrong with me lol

      Delete
  4. I track by the week too. I write it all down in a small diary and then tick it off as I go or make whatever changes I have made. I also colour code it to show how it went or if there was a problem (helps me see if I should take a rest or break or cross train instead of running each day - as the plan I'm using has pretty much running 6 days straight and I don't think my body is good with constant running, so I like to mix it up with other things). So, its yellow for a good, easy run. Orange for if there was any tightness/tiredness/not 100%. Blue for any pain/warning sign. So, I love it when I see a week full of yellow highlighted lines! :)
    Good job on your successful week! Congrats again on your half! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, I may move to something like that.

      Thanks, a lot to learn from the half but very proud of myself for the accomplishment.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it was a great week! Crazy elevation. We definitely don't have that here.
    I do track Sun-Sat, but it seems like some of the training plans out there do not. And I also consider the weekend to be part of the same week, so that always throws me off a bit.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. Yeah Ive seen some plans that go as far as ten days. Now that would really throw me off. I'll stick with the same workouts during each day of the week. Easy to remember lol.

      Delete
  6. Great week, running that kind of elevation is awesome :) I am amazed you can run that kind of elevation a few times a week like that! I track Monday to Monday because I log everything on my loseit app and it runs that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm on a pretty bad elevation kick right now. Yeah the tracking schedules are all so different.

      Delete
  7. nice recap! i love that you are including elevation and the heat information. you're going to love looking back on this especially when you are neck-deep in marathon training :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am enjoying tracking the elevation, it really is different from running in town with no elevation changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!