Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Weekly Training Recap 6/15 - 6/21

After my half marathon trail run two weeks ago, I took extra time off last week which created somewhat of a recovery week.  Based on everything I read, its pretty common to take some rest time after a tough race like that.

Weekly Miles:

6/15/14 - Planned - Rest Day                   Actual - Rest Day                        Elevation - 0 ft
Got my butt kicked on Saturday for the half marathon so much needed rest day.

6/16/14 - Planned - 3 mile recovery run   Actual - Rest Day                        Elevation - 0 ft
I had planned to get out for a recovery run, yeah that didnt happen lol.  More rest was needed as my legs were still pretty tired from Saturday.

6/17/14 - Planned - 3.5 mile trail run      Actual - 3.5 mile trail run              Elevation - 1308 ft
Hiked the trail before work.  Really focused on hiking the trail rather than running.  Was able to open it up a bit on the way down the mountain.

6/18/14 - Planned - 3 mile tempo run    Actual - 2.16 treadmill tempo run   Elevation - 0 ft
This was a running out of time didnt feel like running quickly jump on the treadmill run.  Was able to hold an 8:30 tempo run so that was just about the only good thing out of this run.

6/19/14 - Planned - Not Sure                 Actual - 4 miles                               Elevation - 0 ft
This was the fun run at our local running store.  Actually pretty happy with the 4 miles as we had a ton of fun and didnt really have any expectations about distance.  At one point I broke off from our group to hit some extra check point and needed to hold a 7 min mile to catch back up.

6/20/14 - Planned - Rest Day               Actual - Rest Day                             Elevation - 0 ft
Rest day preparing for my hike to Weavers Needle the next day.

6/21/14 - Planned - 8 miles                 Actual - 5 miles                               Elevation - 1488 ft
Epic trail hike to Weavers Needle.  Used this as a trail stake out so that I can run the trail in the future.  Plus we got some awesome pictures.

Total:     Miles - 14.66 miles              Elevation - 2796 ft

Coming off the half marathon trail run on the 14th, I was ok with a lower milage week to let my legs recover.  Although with almost nine less miles for the week, I still had a pretty good amount of elevation gain.

Marathon and Half Marathon runners, what was your post race week like, complete rest or light running week???  Was my two days off after my half pretty typical??

20 comments:

  1. After a half marathon I take 2 complete rest days from running and then I do whatever I feel like for the next 5 days. Usually I'll try to get in an easy run at least 4 of those days. Each run will usually only be about 3 or 4 or miles but I'll do them at my long run pace anyway just to ease my legs back into running.

    That looks like a good recovery week to me --- but with lots of elevation! It seems like you're getting really used to doing elevation though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right. Feel pretty good about how I handle the post run rest days and recovery days.

      Maybe the elevation was a bad thing but I really am getting used to it.

      Delete
  2. Very smart and great way to avoid injury! I should have taken more rest days after my marathon. Now my knee is all screwed up. :(
    That looks like an excellent recovery week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that stinks, what is the recommended treatment for your knee??

      Yeah I feel pretty good about how I handled it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great recovery week! Can't wait to hear about this new "epic trail"

    I wish I had more elevation like that near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted about the trail run on Sunday. It was awesome, I will definitely hit that trail again.

      Delete
  4. The 2 days off were definitely deserved. I usually take a couple days off then either run or bike EASY to flush out the legs the next couple of days. I wait until the soreness is gone and I feel mentally ready before tackling anything more challenging--usually 5-6 days. Oh yeah, and I eat like crazy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the norm is a couple full rest days then some recovery runs so i feel pretty good about my days.

      Oh yeah I was starving after my run lol

      Delete
  5. I usually take two complete days off and go from there. After my last race, a 27k night trail that was brutal, I took a full week off of no running. I injured myself and want to make sure I heal before marathon training (like now lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had a pretty good approach to my rest days.

      Oh man injuries during a race suck. Definitely need to make sure you heal up before marathon training begins.

      Delete
  6. I had to go back and look at my calendars for this..after my first half marathon, I felt great took one rest and ran 3.6 the next, then 3.11 and then I rested and ran 8 miles. Now my 2nd half...very different, I was wiped took 3 full rest and just ran 3.1 my first time out. We are ll s different, it's just good to listen to your body and enjoy the rest!!! You are still really kicking butt- great week of running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow it's interesting how different your post race week went. pretty badass that you knocked out 8 miles 4 days after your first half marathon

      Delete
    2. it felt weird to feel so fine lol, trust me wasn't so the second time. who can figure ??

      Delete
    3. I say it just shows how great your training went.

      Delete
  7. I think I usually take up to a full week off for a half and prob slightly longer for a full (unless I am training for something else quite soon afterwards). That's awesome that you were back into it after 2 days! Lately I've been trying to do 'active recovery' so would do other exercises and not running, and that worked pretty well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that actually sounds pretty smart. IM guessing 2-5 days is pretty common.

      active recovery is such a great way to shake out your legs. right now I really like the "do nothing" rest days lol

      Delete
  8. It's always good to take a lower mileage/recovery week after something like your half marathon or even after a hard couple of weeks of training. Helps prevent injuries.

    For a half marathon I usually take two days completely off and then go from there. Sometimes I'm ready to start running after that and other times I spend the rest of the week doing other forms of exercise. After the marathon I took a full week off. My mind needed the break as much as my body did, after following a training plan for 18 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I handled it pretty well, so I'm happy with myself.

      Your plan sounds similar to all the feedback and everything that I've read.

      Delete
  9. i always do complete rest coming off of any goal race. if i'm just incorporating a race into training, i continue on with all my planned runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel pretty good to knock out a race and just sit back and relax for a few days. Plus it gives me the itch to get back out there.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!