Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Weekly Recap and HEAT Training Continues

This was the weather widget on my phone after my run, yeah I ran in this:


Even with 100+ temperatures, I knocked out 3 miles holding a 9:18 pace.  Pretty proud of this run.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Weekly Recap 6/1/14 - 6/7/14

Sunday 6/1/14 - Rest Day
Day before was an 11.5 trail run and my ankles and legs were wrecked.  Really needed the day off.

Monday 6/2/14 - Rest Day
Took a second day off.  I'm really liking these long runs in my plan because it gives me a lot of flexibility with my weekly runs as I build up more mileage.

Tuesday 6/3/14 - 3 Mile Road Run
Plan was to hit the trail before work but I felt a cold coming on so decided to sleep in.  That extra rest really helped.  So after work I did a light jog for 3 miles.

Wednesday 6/4/14 - 3 Mile Road Run
National Running Day fun run at our local running store.  It was hot out but running with the lead pack I was able to hold a 7:57 pace.

Thursday 6/5/14 - 4.25 Mile Road Run
Recovery run in the evening so I was able to throw in a couple more miles.

Friday 6/6/14 - Rest Day
Great date night with Mrs Schlub plus I knew I was having a long run the next day so I needed the day off to legs my legs rest up.

Saturday 6/7/14 - 10 Mile Trail Run
Epic trail run, going to keep ramping up the trail runs as we get ready for our marathon in February.  With the elevation and terrain I should be more than prepared for the marathon.

Total - 20.25 miles

These last two weeks the trend has been 4 running days and 3 rest days, how many rest days do you have factored into your training plan right now??

12 comments:

  1. WOW! 104! I am going to stop complaining about the weather since your weather really beats mine :)

    That's awesome that you get to vary up your terrain between road and trail. I'm so jealous of that. My variety includes road or treadmill! I guess I could add sand in there at the beach, but that's too hard! haha

    I only have one rest day from running in my plan, but a couple nights I only do an easy 2 or 3 miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but ours is a dry heat, that humidity is something to contend with as well.

      I am pretty lucky to be able to run road and trail but I agree 100%, running in the sand is tough work.

      Delete
  2. My hat is off to you for getting out in the heat!

    I have 2 rest days per week, but sometimes it ends up being 3--life happens! This week, it was 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, really trying to get acclimated to it.

      Thats like me, my rest days are pretty flexible.

      Delete
  3. I'd be happy to run at 9:18 for 3 miles in that heat, too! This week, I'll probably have one rest day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy with that, I hope thats a sign that my training is working.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I know it's hard in the heat! I love running trails too. I am trying to get back to 5 running days a week. I usually take Mon and Fri off, but I also go to yoga on Sundays and lift weights Tues and Thurs, so I'm doubling up several days. Rest is important!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest is definatley important. I am trying to double up on strength training and running days. See how it works.

      Delete
  5. um, i can't imagine running in 104 degrees. i mean it gets hot here in florida, but we rarely get above 96. you are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but your humidity is so extreme compared to ours. We pretty much have a dry heat here in AZ.

      Delete
  6. Whew that is hot! But not as bad as when I initially thought that was the temperature at 6:30 AM. That would be even crazier. If I lived somewhere that it got that hot all of the time, I think I would give up running and take up swimming, haha.

    I typically factor in one or two rest days per week, with 4 running days and 1-2 cross training days. But marathon training is about to start and then I'll be running 6 days per week with one rest day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha that does seem like a more appropriate sport given our weather.

    I figure our marathon training will be that involved as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!