Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Two Trails and a Rest Day

At this point I'm running the mountain before work two times a week.  Mrs Schlub does not meet with her running group on Tuesday and Thursday mornings so those are my early morning run days.  I've been able to notice how my runs are going based on the sunrise these past two weeks.  Quiz for you, which run was going better at the summit??

Tuesday

Thursday

Give up???

So as I hit the summit today, I could see the sun was already peaking out from behind the mountains so I knew I was behind Tuesdays pace.  Sure enough when I got down I was overall about 10 min slower.  

Side note, very pleased with the hiker demeanor on the mountain today.  Just about everyone said good morning or hi which really makes my run feel good.  I think along with my run recaps which include miles and elevation, I need a hiker attitude breakdown because some days they just keep to themselves.  Who doesn't want to say hi to some guy jogging down the mountain laboring for breathe and can barely squeeze out a good morning lol.

Do you notice the fellow runner/hiker demeanor of those that are running around you on your training runs??

22 comments:

  1. Horray for nice hikers! Around here we come across bikers more often. Sometimes they are nice, sometimes they seem annoyed with us for being in their way. Share dudes, share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I hear ya, my long runs on Saturday's are on some mountain bike trails and I always seem to get the guys that are annoyed that I'm on their turf. I just run along and try to forget about them.

      Delete
  2. :( I'm one of those that struggles saying hi. I muster up a hand wave and a semi-smile but actually saying hi while gasping for air is sometimes too labor intensive. Can we still be friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey atleast you try to muster a hand wave, that would be enough for me. So of the hikers literally pass me and ignore me. Eh oh well what can you do.

      Delete
  3. Hahah I totally knew Tuesday was your faster time based on the sun because I use the sun as a clue in on my pace as well. If I make it home before the sun sets I know I had a good day, if I get home and it's completely dark I know I went too slow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah there you go, I could totally see that being the case. I'd be afraid of getting caught up watching those amazing sunsets and always run home in the dark.

      Delete
  4. Yay for friendly people. I always try to say hi or at least kind of wave/flail at others when I pass. No reason not be friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I'm talking about, we are all out there enjoying the outdoors, we should be able to get along lol.

      Delete
  5. I always say hi with a head nod. How audible the "hi" is directly related to the effort of the run :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%, I know sometimes my mind is thinking "Hi" or "Good Morning" but who the heck knows what actually comes out lol.

      Delete
  6. I always wave. I'm a total nerd about it. I also try to stand up extra straight and pretend like I've got everything under control even when I feel like I'm about to keel over. Sometimes people wave back and sometimes they don't. :)

    GORGEOUS photos. I want to run there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA I've noticed I tend to do that most of the time too. I think we all inherently try to seem like we know what we are doing even though we are struggling at that point.

      Delete
  7. It's funny, sometimes you can be the ONLY two people around in sight, and early in the morning or whenever, about to pass each other, and that other person can resolutely refuse to acknowledge your existence! Even with a nod/hi/gasping 'morning'. Maybe they are just in the zone when they haven't said hello? For some reason, I would have though hikers would have been more likely than runners to say hi? As they are prob not breathing as heavy and are going a bit slower? I found when running back in Australia, that LOADS of the runners would pretend you weren't there, even when it was you and each other and quiet still morning, hmmm... I like to smile/nod/try for a 'hi' if I meet people as we run past each other, or lately it's been 'ni hao!' or just a smile.
    Love the way of monitoring your pace/run by using the sunrise. Haha, Garmin eat your heart out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are a few regulars that hit the mountain that are exactly like that. Zone out the world.

      I always give a "hello" or a hand wave, I feel that is part of the running etiquette.

      You know I actually did forget my Garmin today. Only true measure I had was the entire run time.

      Delete
  8. I usually try to be friendly and say good morning or wave at least lol If someone ignores me...no worries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same and need to take it less personally when they don't wave back lol

      Delete
  9. I love saying hi to people on the trails! It is so sad when they do not acknowledge you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to greet people too, I just need to let it go if they don't say anything back, it's their loss lol

      Delete
  10. I was thinking it looked like Tuesday's run was better, since the sun looks to be a smidge higher on the horizon in Thursday's picture. I was right! :) I do notice the demeanor of other runners/pedestrians on a trail. It's always nice when they acknowledge you and/or say hi, and always kind of a downer when they act like you're not there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See trail runners just know those things.

    The demeanor is huge, and I agree, always a downer when you don't get a greeting back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. on the bike trails that i frequent i often notice that the cyclists are more friendly than the runners. but i have found that i'm starting to recognize a few of the regular runners and i'm pretty sure i'm known as the crazy lady with the grumpy toddler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I kinda get annoyed with the mountain bikers, thats just because they are faster lol.

      HA the grumpy toddler, I could totally imagine that out on the trails lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!