Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Trails...I Need More Please

Tuesday morning I once again hit the mountain before work.  I was concerned my legs would still be tired from Saturday’s half marathon so I planned to “hike” the mountain only covering what I could, and then head back down so I could get to work.

I hit the mountain at 430 am but I wasn’t sure I would have enough time to hit the summit by hiking.  Well of course I ended up running some of the sections especially downhill.  Same run as the past few weeks, 3.5 miles and 1300 ft of elevation gain.  Surprisingly my legs felt great which really shows how my fitness level is progressing.  I know all of you are getting tired of the same old pictures each week because I run the same trail, so I only have one picture for you today.  Lovely AZ super early in the morning.  Everyone is sleeping while I dominate the trail, AWESOME!!
 

And there is something about by shoes being covering in the the mountain dirt that I think is cool.  Makes them look rugged and tough.  You can tell they have been putting in some serious trail miles just my looking at them.
 
WE WANT NEW TRAILS...  I’ve wanted to hit some new trails for my long runs on Saturday mornings.  I want to use my long run as an opportunity to explore the various mountains around our valley.  So I persuaded my running buddy to hike/run with me to the famous Weavers Needle in the Superstition Mountains.

 
Weavers Needle is a column of rock rising 4,555 feet in the southern portion of the Superstition Mountains.  It is a popular destination for hikers/photographers in the area as it provides great shots like above.  Plan is to take one of the heavily traveled trails for about 4 miles to a rest area just parallel to the Needle.  At that point we will contemplate hiking/climbing to the base of the needle as Hike Arizona describes the slope to the Needle as “seemingly endless 45 degree slope of loose rocks and boulders ahead is rather daunting.  It is, thankfully, not as difficult as it appears.”  So depending on how the hike goes and how running buddy is feeling, we may stay at the rest area until it’s time to head back to the trailhead.  Saturday can’t come fast enough!!

Do you get super excited when you are preparing for a new trail or a new running route??

14 comments:

  1. I get very excited to try out new routes! I am wondering if you ever encounter some scary wild life when you venture out in the trails so early in the morning? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I posted about that a couple months ago. Came across a javelina and a coyote on the same trail. Other than that is pretty much just rabbits.

      Delete
  2. New routes are always fun to mix it up! I'm impressed you get up so early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prefer it, its early enough to still be cool out and its a great way to start out the day.

      Delete
  3. Do you wear a headlamp or anything when you go at 4:30am? I just picture myself stumbling in the dark and falling off the mountain! :)

    Weavers Needle looks awesome! Take lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on what time I start, yeah Ill wear my headlamp.

      Oh man I cant wait for weavers needle. I will have TONS of pictures.

      Delete
  4. I love how the sun coming up looks in your pictures! yep, it's good to have your shoes broken in and a little dusty :) Happy Trails, I love when I can change up my route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never get tired of that sunrise. I'm sure all the readers are lol.

      I love that my shoes are dirty, makes them look like they have tons of stories to tell from the miles of trails.

      Delete
  5. What a GREAT statement: dominating the trails while everyone else is asleep! Awesome!! Aww, I wish I had trails nearby to explore, but I do love randomly trying out new routes every now and then, even if only a slight change in the usual route.
    Definitely hardcore with the muddy trainers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha well the honest truth is the trail is kicking my butt but still putting in work while everyone is sleeping.

      I think new trails just gives you a new adventure and new viewpoint. I think that is why I get so bored with road runs. Same thing over and over, sidewalk, sidewalk, and more sidewalk.

      Delete
  6. I love exploring new trails! And I love seeing the mud and dirt all over my trail shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about my trail shoes being super dirty that makes me feel like I put in a ton or work. Kinda earning my stripes.

      Delete
  7. yes, i love going somewhere i've never gone before. it keeps my mind guessing and gets me out of bed with extra excitement :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!