Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

OMG...First Ever Half Marathon....Kinda!!

Well I "kinda" have a half marathon this weekend. 

As a Father's Day gift, Mrs. Schlub was purchasing me an entry into a Father's Day virtual run called Father's Day Virtual Beer Run.  Typical virtual run where you pay your entry fee, you have a certain time frame to complete your run, and your finisher medal is mailed to you a few weeks after.



Now when Mrs. Schlub told me about it, I was super excited.  Due to injuries earlier this year, she has two more finisher medals than I do.  So this will get me one medal closer to her (I know I know it's not all about the bling lol).  So when she asked what distance I wanted to run, I immediately chose the half marathon distance.

My plan is to hit my normal trails on Saturday and just extend my run to 13.1 miles for my first ever half marathon.  Now the distance itself doesn't worry me, I ran 11.5 miles two weeks ago and then 10 miles just last week.  The thing that is worrying me is making sure I have enough water.  I will be starting out as early as I can but as you have seen the last couple weeks, we are well into the 100's here in AZ.  I will be taking my Camelbak with me but I also have some backup.  I plan to have two bag drops out on the trail just in case I am running low on water.  This is making me feel real confident about the run.  So before I hit the trail I'll drive to two entry points into separate trails and leave my extra water.  If I don't use them, I can easily retrieve them after the run to make sure I'm not leaving unwanted debris behind.

So I will be running my first official/unofficial half marathon this Saturday and I cant tell you how stoked I am.  Plan to take tons of pictures and hopefully come next week, the only "standard" runs left to knock off my list is the full marathon next February and if I plan correctly, an Ultra Marathon next April/May.

Did/Do you keep track of your race distances as you knock off all the standard distances??

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan (and a great gift!!!)! Be sure to also have some gels/chomps/food/gatorade for the long run!

    Of course, gotta keep track of race distances! Left on the list: marathon, 50K, 50-miler and 100-miler. I don't actually plan on ever running a 100. My pace is too slow and I just can't imagine running for more than 24 hours straight.... but I was talking to an accomplished ultrarunner the other day and she said after I run a 50-miler I'll change my mind lol. We'll see!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great gift and we will see if my plan works out lol.

      Wow I had ultra lumped into one but I guess there are many variations. I can totally see you getting hooked after the first one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Agree 100%, may be thinking differently while Im running though :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck and great plan to make sure you have enough water out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to plan it out properly, I think it will work out pretty well.

      Delete
  4. Good luck! Sounds like you have a plan in place. Cool run idea! I like the medal. I personally try to avoid knowing which mile I'm at in a race - hoping it will make them rattle off faster. Of course, it's hard to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I came up with a pretty good plan. Its pretty hard for me to avoid the mile markers since I am addicted to my Garmin lol

      Delete
  5. What a great gift! Sounds like you have a good plan. Make sure you include some fuel and electrolytes in your drop bags. Can't wait to hear how it goes! You should make a little finish line for the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome gift. Ill definitely bring some fuel with me. Oh man didn't think about a little finish line.

      Delete
  6. Awesome gift from your wifey! Running your first half marathon on a trail sounds awesome. Your hydration plan sounds good too. Even if you don't want to drink the water, you could throw it on your face to cool down. I am excited to see pictures and read about your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!! I'm sure there will be plenty splashed on my neck and head as the temps climb that morning.

      Delete
  7. have you started to experiment with fuel besides water? i have no problem going 10 miles on just water, but any farther than that and i try to take in calories and electrolytes too.

    i skipped right to the half marathon distance...and then directly to a full (two years later). i still remember my "first" training runs. specifically my first 10 miler, 15 miler and 20 miler. and my first magical ice bath :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily yes I have so I should be good with a few of them on Saturday.

      Wow didn't ease your way into that at all lol. I remember my first ice bath, not fun at all.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo!! Sounds awesome!! I'm sure you'll rock that with the water plan. Can't wait to read all about it! Beer is included afterwards yes? Not just a virtual beer I hope? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally stoked. I didn't think about a beer after, yikes. I will definitely need to bring one for when I finish. Although I will have to drive home after so maybe just a sip lol

      Delete
  9. Awesome bud! I love that bling...and hey gotta run for some once in awhile :) Enjoy and happy trails! Please tell the mountain climb will not be part of your 13.1 !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always great to have a cool medal to go along with a completed run.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, it is all about the bling! :) Who told you it wasn't?? T-shirts and bling, that's the point of races!

    It's a little late now, but my tip on water is: If you're not able to carry all that you'll need either stash some ahead of time (in a sealed bottle, so that you'll know if it's been tampered with) or carry extra during the early miles and stash it along the way if you're doing an out and back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I guess your right, pretty awesome to have a cool medal hanging around your neck after a tough race.

      Good tips, definitely use those in the future.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!