Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, June 30, 2014

Mid Year Review

We are half way through 2014, are you kidding me??

So Karen over at Running Over The Hill posted how weeks can easily fly by and you  cant really  recall what went on until you look back over your running log and get reminded of what you had going on.  She is absolutely right, I looked over Garmin Connect today and realized that through these first six months we have had a ton of stuff going on.  So here is a quick run down of the first 6 months of 2014.

Monthly Totals:
January -  43.76  miles      ?? elevation gain
- I actually started my blog  in January, wow my posts were bad back then lol.
- Just realized I had a training run 5K PR that was right around 21 minutes.  This is going to bother  me, I HAVE A FAKE PR RIGHT  NOW!!

February - 46.48 miles          ?? elevation gain
- Was battling ITB issues during this time.
- I was very new to running and made a lot of mistakes.

March -  86.67 miles         1,571 elevation gain
- Finally healthy, definitely increased mileage too much from February, not very smart.

April - 90.83 miles      2,981 elevation gain
- I was going really hard after Mrs. Schlub, we were going head to head to see who logged more miles during the month.  Have no idea who ended up winning lol.

May -  74.52 miles     4,382 elevation gain
- Four races during May.

June -        84.08 miles               11,291 elevation gain
- REALLY focused on elevation  gain, can you tell.

I think I need to start setting monthly goals for myself.  Going back over my blog posts I have made some serious improvements  both as a blogger and runner.  Yet, nothing really to dictate whether I am on the right track or not.  I am working on that today and will post about it tomorrow.

In the mean time, how has the first 6 months of 2014 treated you?  Are you dominating or slumping?

25 comments:

  1. Wait, all that competition in April and no idea who won? LOL! :)

    Great start to the year! Do you feel like you learned from the mistakes you made earlier?

    My 6 mos were pretty meh compared to past years (just not as in to training), but... good enough for me! :) I am hoping the rest of the year turns out better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she won lol. Definitely learned from my mistakes and injuries. I'm a much better runner today.

      I hope the rest of the year turns out better as well.

      Delete
  2. HOLY COW! Look at that elevation gain in June compared to the other months!!! Way to go! I think that elevation gain stat is a pretty good indicator that you're improving big time!

    I feel like right now I'm both dominating and slumping. My mileage is increasing and I had a couple of training run PRs last month, but I am feeling a little mental fatigue somedays. I think I just need a new running playlist! I've been using the same one since January :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A part of me thinks the elevation gain was a bit much, but my legs feel great, so just go with it right?


      I'm sure the fatigue has to do with the heat, plus an outdated play list will definitely add to fatigue, need something fresh.

      Delete
  3. Great job! Looks like you are due to hit three digits soon.

    My first 6 months have been a little slow, but they are starting to pick up steam with my June mileage. Hope the trend continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your absolutely right, triple digit month is a milestone I'm chasing, hoping to hit that in the coming months.

      Delete
  4. Holy April!!
    The first 6 months have been a whirlwind--I was busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah April was huge, hoping to hit 100+ in the coming months.

      Well here is to a great second half of the year.

      Delete
  5. You critized me for doubling my vert and you go up by 5 times? Haha! You'll never hear me saying too much though.

    130miles/35k vert with one week off in June. Obviously things are looking up since my hip is getting better, but I don't even want to total January, February and March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was going to catch some flack for that lol.

      Definitely looks like the hip is getting better. You had me on a summit kick and now I need to go after 35k very, that is huge.

      Delete
  6. I love all that elevation gain. :) Cool post! I totally jumped the gun and did a mid year review in the beginning of June. I should have waited until it was actually the middle of the year.

    Right now...currently slumped due to injury. Hopefully back in it in a couple weeks. I can't wait to see what your July elevation is. Eventually you're just going to reach the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely on an elevation gain kick right now. I don't think there is a rule on when you do your mid year review lol.

      I hope that injury heals up quick. We will see how July goes, I need to create some monthly goals.

      Delete
  7. Holy smokes! Great job!! Those elevation gains are pretty impressive. ;D During the first 6 months of the year I've run probably too many races and am now feeling a little burnt out. I'm going to do more strength and less running for a short while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im very happy with the elevation gain.

      Races will do that to you, i had that same feeling back when we ran 4 races in 4 weeks. Pretty burnt out.

      Delete
  8. That is a speedy 5km!! Good work! Congrats on an excellent half year of training, and that is A LOT of elevation!! You're a trail dominating machine!
    You know, everyone I speak to or hear from has been saying how bloody fast time has been going recently, and we watched a documentary the other day that explains the reason that it feels time is going quicker than it used to be is that it apparently IS (or may be anyway) going faster due to planetary / cosmic reasons, and to do with the great year cycle (25,000 years I think). Whatever it is, I agree - it's been flying - I still think we've just finished December somedays...
    Looking forward to reading about being on the right track as runner/blogger. Cheers, Lou :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on a pretty good roll with elevation gain, pretty happy with that part of my training.

      That is an interesting take on it. either way it feels like time is speeding by.

      Delete
  9. WOW check out all those miles!! Way to go!! I am definitely in a slump... more in tomorrow's post. But ugh... tell me how to get your motivation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all go through those periods in our training. We are all here for each other and eventually the motivation comes back.

      Delete
  10. Dang 21:00 for a 5K is really speedy. Your mileage really jumped up in March and April! I think the first half of the year has gone pretty well for me. At the beginning of the year I decided to run any and all races my heart desired, so I did a lot of racing. I think I got kind of worn out by the end of spring. But the next few weeks will be a base building phase for marathon training, so it'll be kind of like an active recovery without much, if any, racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of races are tough and it can totally burn you out. We ran 4 races in 4 weeks a couple months ago and man i was burnt out after.

      Delete
  11. man, you are killing it! seriously. love to see those numbers :)

    i'm all over the place in 2014. a new PR at the 5k, and my first half post-surgery. but now i'm in a slump and trying to get myself out of it....but i'm still pretty emotional about my friend's accident and i have a hard time finding the courage to do much of anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty happy with things at this point, just glad its all injury free at this point.

      Life will do that to you, those things come first. Eventually things will work out in the end and that passion and motivation will return. Im sure of it.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the shout out :) I am really enjoyed following your growth as a runner. You have made huge leaps in such a short amount of time! So glad you are feeling better and meeting your goals :) Running up mountains is awesome and will make you stronger for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! I have really enjoyed :) following your growth bud #typingproblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep reminding myself and Mrs Schlub that we are still "newbs" when it comes to running. We have really made great strides in a short time but there is soooo much more room for improvement.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!