Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Inspiration and Man My Stride Needs Some Work

As I was writing my half marathon recap on Sunday, the following commercial came on and it hit pretty close the the heart.  Of course the commercial is exaggerating the scene a bit but I truly believe this is a common reaction in the running community.  See someone struggling, someone grinding to the finish, someone knocking out some miles in 100* heat, all you can think is "Awesome job!"  So if you haven't seen it, take a look...if you have seen it, enjoy an encore.


About my stride, I have worked on it a lot since earlier this year.  I was having constant IT Band pain and Ive found that foot strike and strength training were the cure to that problem.  Just for fun I had Mrs Schlub record me running on the treadmill so I can see what I'm working with.  Yikes I still have a lot of work to do.

 
On the left side I can see that I am not raising my knees high enough before I plant.  This is causing me to swing my leg out in front a bit.  So along with my normal runs, I'm going to be adding in some form drills to get those knees up higher.
 
Now the picture on the right shows my foot plant and I'm pretty happy with where I've been able to get to.  Not completely in my center of gravity but bent leg and not toe striking like I was when the ITB issues were occurring.  As I work on driving my knees, it should also help with my foot strike.
 
Its so much different feeling your stride or thinking what it looks like and actually seeing it from a different perspective.  Best thing is when I saw Mrs Schlub's video, I actually looked like a runner.  I had the treadmill set at 6:40 pace and I was actually making it look easy, of course I was dying at the time lol. Anyways, there is my scientific analysis of my stride for today, but I think this may become a common occurrence as I thought it was extremely helpful.
 
Have you ever seen a video recording of yourself running?  Do you think its helpful to watch your stride?

18 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a video of myself running but I'd really like to, I think it would definitely be a good way to learn and improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend it, really a good tool.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that video! Is it ridiculous that it just made me tear up at my desk? Running makes me so emotional, haha.

    I've never watched a video of my stride, but like you I do take the time to work on it. I try to check in with myself a couple times on every run to make sure I'm doing things the right way. I know towards the end of speedwork I tend to get a bit lazy with form in general, and really have to focus hard to keep it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, I feel the same way when I see that video.

      I would recommend the video, it was really interesting and really allows me to focus on my trouble areas.

      Delete
  3. How cool of Mrs. Schlub to make the video! I've never seen a video of myself running, but there are mirrors directly across from one of the treadmills that I frequently use. I find it handy for analyzing my form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is a great way to check your form also. Just be careful looking over, don't want to fall off that thing lol

      Delete
  4. Good stuff. Specialty running stores look at your gait to help find the right shoe based on cushioning preference, what, if any, stability is needed, and how the shoe fits your foot. You can always check into apps for your phone or iPad that use the camera to perform a gait analysis - Coach's Eye and Ubersense are two that I know of off hand. Signing up for a form class like Good Form Running (GFR) can be helpful too - I went through one and it was immensely useful for my running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that done when I got my recent pair of shoes. Very helpful as well.

      I've been using your GFR posts as my intro to the class. I may take one in the future.

      Delete
  5. LOVE the commercial! It made me tear up.

    I have had my stride analyzed when I went to PT--If you can get a video of it outside it's even better. Every once in a while I have my husband watch me and analyze my form--It's really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great video.

      Hmmm outside you say, getting that done for sure.i just think it's extremely helpful. I may start doing it weekly as a part of my training.

      Delete
  6. That's a great ad. I hadn't seen it before, thanks!
    What a great idea to film your stride and analyse it! That's a very fast pace too! good job :)
    I have only seen myself run on film once, and it was part of a video made my another runner at the recent ultra I took part in. I couldn't see my stride form too clearly, but I could see me doing some strange/awkward things with my arms/hands! So, will be aiming to keep them in check a little bit more though. Haha, I think I had a very different image in my head of how I looked compared to the reality of seeing myself on film, d'oh... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome.

      Lol that is what I was afraid of with mine, I'd have some strange motion or something. Good thing is we can video ourselves and make necessary changes. I'd like to start doing this weekly to keep improving my form.

      Delete
  7. What a great message the video conveyed :) I have never recorded my self, I have been thinking about going and have that done. I know I have too much hip movement. I also know I am different on the treadmill than outside, so I would love to video both. I can't imagine sustaining a 6:40 pace lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great video.

      You should do it!. It is really helpful and eye opening.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a recording of my stride while running, but I'd like to! I've heard that some running stores will analyze your gait on a treadmill using a video camera and then will slow it down for you to watch. It would be really interesting!

    That was a really inspirational commercial! Unfortunately I didn't like the song that they used, for personal reasons. There was a shooting at my school (Virginia Tech) my freshman year, and there were so many YouTube montages using that song that I can't hear it now without thinking about that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah our store analyzes your gait, but I thought it was more beneficial to see my entire body while running. Really get a good idea of what you are doing.

      Oh man I remember that. Totally understand not being able to hear the song. Bad memories.

      Delete
  9. i've never seen a recording of it...and i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have the first clue what to look for. but i love that you're doing this! i think awareness is super important...that's what helps us get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah I'm sure once you saw it you would know right away what was good and what needs some work.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!