Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Great Group Run for NRD!!

Super hot but you cant beat this view.

 
I made my way up to the local running store to meet up with a few running friends to celebreate NRD.  Not going to lie, it was HOT, but being my very first time participating in NRD, I couldnt use the heat as an excuse. 
 
The group run was planned for 3 miles out and back along the lake.  As we walked to the starting point I saw a few runners move to the front of the pack and assumed they would be the faster pace group.  I didnt plan to pace myself very fast but as we started I was pulled by the lead pack and just went with it because my legs were feeling pretty good.  I am quickly realizing how important group runs are for my tempo runs.  It is so much easier for me to pace along with other runners than it is for me to run a tempo run on my own.  Running along with the lead pack, we were pacing around 730 - 8 min/mile and it felt pretty easy given the temperature.  Stopping twice for pictures (one of them is above) I was still able to average just under an 8 min pace for the run.  Felt really good about the time and my legs felt great after we were done.
 
After the run, a number of prizes were raffled off to everyone who participated in the run.  I was amazed because the run was free and they gave out a free pair of shoes, 4 free entries into 2 big races, and a bunch of smaller prizes.  Cant beat those types of prizes for a free group run.
 
Awesome first NRD, so glad I went to this event, and I cant wait to participate in more group runs at the running store.
 
Is it easy for you to maintain your pace on tempo runs or do you find it easier to pace with someone??

12 comments:

  1. I think it is easier to pace faster with a group--less mental work!
    NRD--I helped at a fun run at my kid's school for the last day--just a mile, in the cool rain (50). The kids had a blast. We went for ice cream after, so we ate like runners too! BRING ON SUMMER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, so much easier to pace with a group.

      Sounds like an awesome fun run, I would take some rain these days. Ice cream afterwards sounds great too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was a great night! The perfect way to end NRD!

    During tempo or really any type of speedwork I try to find a person running at a similar pace and follow them. It doesn't always work out, but on the night's that it does it's really nice so that I don't have to look at my Garmin so often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!

      That would be awesome, problem is I usually run late so I'm the only crazy guy out running in the neighborhood. I just need to hit some more of these group runs.

      Delete
  3. I think it's easier with someone else but I prefer doing them by myself - you never know if there will be somebody else there with you during a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, last race I found myself alone for a good portion of the race and I was really struggling during that section.

      Delete
  4. i way prefer to run with someone! my whole training cycle in preparation for my BQ i did all of my long runs and some of my tempo work with someone way faster than me. it taught me that i CAN be fast, i just need to push and challenge myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to realize this more and more. I need to participate in more group runs when I have the chance, I know it will help me in the long run.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like such fun!!! Pace is a dirty word for me in the heat lol I just keep praying my speed will return this Fall. It's awesome you can hold that kind of pace in heat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the comments called it endurance training much like elevation training. I'm hoping this makes my flat runs so much easier.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a great group run for NRD! That picture is amazing. I definitely find it easier to hold a certain pace when I'm running with someone else - especially if they are the one setting the pace. Then I just have to focus on staying with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it was hot, really enjoyed the view.

      Agree 100%, pace is much easier when you are just drafting someone.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!