Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Epic Trail Run (Hike) to Weavers Needle

With my preview on Tuesday, a buddy and I were headed to the Superstition Mountains just east of Phoenix in search of Weavers Needle.  We had to drive about 8 miles into the national forest and we quickly realized there was about a 10 degree difference in temperature.  So we started out in beautiful weather. 

From the moment we stepped to the trailhead, I started snapping pictures of the beautiful mountain rising up above us.


Had to get the great panoramic view from the trailhead.


As we navigated the canyon, we were climbing the entire way.  Here is a look up the canyon.


Beautiful look back down the canyon where we cam from.  Yeah cant see the cars, thats a lot of climbing lol.


Here you can see some of the crazy rock formations we have here in AZ.  That rock looks like a tiny little push and its rolling off and down the canyon.


And the goal for the entire hike, Weavers Needle!  As you come to the top of the climb, you cant see anything until you hit the top and then you get this view.  Completely awesome!!

 
 
Since none of you could come with me, shot a video coming up to the saddle so all of you can see what we saw.



Last shot is back up the canyon once we were back at the trailhead.  Much different look once the sun is up and blazing on the trail.


Here is the low down on the trek.  I was concerned with the new trail and running buddies endurance with the elevation gain so we hiked the entire trail.  Distance to the saddle ended up being about 2.5 miles so the entire trip was 5 miles out and back.  Elevation gain was slow and gradual but ended up being some killer elevation.  Total elevation gain was just under 1500 feet of elevation gain.



Well that was it, the famous Weavers Needle.  Definitely a great sight and understandable why so many photographs are taken.  Next goal is to run to the Needle iteself.  Now that I am more familiar with the trail, that will be a trek in the next few weeks.

When was the last time you had a destination on your run and ended up completely in awe at the run goal??

17 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I love looking at your elevation charts? I have elevation envy even though I would probably not have made it up to the top lol

    Really pretty route! I wish that all running blogger's would put together a house swap for a week so that we could all explore each other's favorite running paths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, because I have beach envy every time I see your beach pictures lol.

      Ah that may be a good idea in the future, that would be awesome.

      Delete
  2. Um, I kinda need to do this!!! That looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first time in the Superstitions. I run Camelback all the time but trying to hit all the mountains around the valley. Youve still got Rim to Rim that trumps all the mountains in town lol.

      Delete
  3. This looks incredible! So awesome you get to run/hike up there! Wow to the elevation chart too. Yes, that is a fair bit of elevation. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure a lot of the views on your trip are amazing too.

      Delete
  4. love all the pictures. and i love that i can live through all your trail running!!! maybe someday i won't live in stupid florida....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything I can do to help, but hey Florida is not bad at all. The beach is amazing and I have a six hour drive to be near a beach.

      Delete
  5. Awww Dawn, that humidity would kill me. I love all the views Richard :) I wish I had something that wasn't so brush covered, your trails are a whole different animal than mine. I would hiked that baby up for sure :) I want to be able to run mountains, but I am not quite there yet :) Love the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I "run" the mountains but even I have to hike here and there. Elevation is definately quite the adversary. Really envy the ultra runners that can run thousands of feet in elevation in a single run.

      Delete
    2. If you keep doing elevation you will get there :)

      Delete
    3. that's the plan plus my hope is that my flat runs will be much easier.

      Delete
  6. Great shots! What a beautiful place to run!! Looks like you have been doing some great runs and having fun~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really was incredible even though I saw plenty of pictures.

      Yeah Ive had some really awesome runs, enjoying running so much more on the trails.

      Delete
  7. Your scenery is so different from mine, but so beautiful in its own way. I would love to do some hiking and running out your way. If only they could clear the state of all poisonous reptiles first..? Awesome hike and impressive elevation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been running around here a lot in the past few weeks. I havent seen any of those reptiles so I wouldnt worry about them too much lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!