Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Casual Road Run and a Couple Suprises

I haven't run since Saturday's hike to Weavers Needle.  So tonight Buster and I headed out for a few miles in our neighborhood.  On a side not, besides the fun run last Thursday, my last actual road run was on the 9th, that is 2 weeks ago.  Ive really been putting in some good trail runs and some really good elevation gain.

Tonights run ended up being 3.72 miles.  I felt bad because a lot of my runs lately have been super early in the morning and Buster has not been attending.  Due to this, his endurance was greatly impacted and he was struggling today.  So we took some walking breaks here and there to make sure I wasnt running him into the ground.

So a couple take aways from tonights casual run:

1) Old man softball is actually more work than one would think.  Right now Mrs Schlub and I play together in our Church league on Saturday nights then I play with a bunch of buddies on Sunday nights.  Well running around the bases has definitely taken its toll on my legs.  I guess I can count that as speed training lol.

2) The elevation gain and trail runs are really working great for my endurance.  During the periods that Buster and I were actually running tonight, I was easily maintaining a pace between 8:30 and 9:00 min per mile.  Not out of breath at all and the pace felt completely comfortable.  On sore legs, I'll take that any day of the week.

Anybody got out of the ordinary cross training activities that help with your speed work??
       - I'm totally counting old man softball as speed training!!

16 comments:

  1. Haha I just saw your comment on my blog and you are right... I was being a total copy cat with the video! haha

    Let's just say you were the inspiration ... that makes it sound nicer lol

    Way to go Buster knocking out that 8:30 pace!!! Good job to you, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha....still a great video.

      Yeah he is a trooper, I just have to back off if we are running more than 3 miles.

      Delete
  2. Good job Buster! Softball could totally be speed training when you are legging out ground balls to get on base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, my legs were super sore on Monday. Only thing it could be from was softball.

      Delete
  3. I would totally count softball as cross training. I use a high cadence cycling for a workout. I have also been surprised of late at how sore my legs get from yard work--pulling weeds!

    Buster puts my dogs to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man your right. My legs get super sore from pulling weeds also. I'm adding that to my training plan lol.

      Yeah he is a super running buddy.

      Delete
  4. Haha, sometimes when our dog takes off running through the school and I attempt to catch her/chase her definitely counts as extra speedwork methinks! :) (BTW, I always fail with trying to catch her, she is one speedy puppy.)
    that's great news about the great effect that trail runs and elevation training are having on your runs on the road. I have read before that running up hills makes your pace faster on the flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is a great training event right there.

      Yeah I was super surprised at how well my legs were conditioned during the run.

      Delete
  5. That's a great pace! Softball sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep reminding myself that it suppose to be fun. Take it to serious sometimes lol

      Delete
  6. Softball will cover as speed training for sure :) It's so you and the Mrs. are really sharing your lives, with all your activities, that's really wonderful you can enjoy stuff together. It's sweet you thought about Buster's little legs, don't want to run them off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it makes all these activities that much more enjoyable because we are doing them together.

      as enthusiastic as Buster is, he just doesn't have the stamina and I need to give him breaks. plus it's an excuse for me too lol

      Delete
  7. Isn't it cool how much stronger you feel on roads after running on trails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I love that this training is working so well. It means I can keep running trails lol.

      Delete
  8. yet another reason for me to be jealous of all the trails...improved endurance. as if i wasn't already green enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we turning you yet?? LOL I am worried about our upcoming races because they are all on the roads. I will have to start mixing in some road runs to get ready for those.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!