Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Training? What Training?

Race reports, leg pains, and I finally get to post about my training.   Well let's face it,  my training has been a joke.   Two weeks ago we had our 5k race and I was going hard after the PR.  I ended up taking three rest days before and two rest days after that race.   Ran Tues and Wed then we had our 10k.  Took two rest days before and one rest day after.

You can see a common trend here.  We are 15 days into May and I've run six days and rested eight days. Yikes?!?!  As I post that it just seems bad.  Now i know i had a stomach bug and a cold mixed into both of those small breaks so it's not all bad.   I'm not making one of those declaration posts "I WILL rededicate myself" blah blah blah because I tried that last week and I ended up sick and not sticking to my re - focusing lol.  Instead, I'm letting the month play out,  running when appropriate.  Two very positive points I'm building on 1) two months injury free,  this is huge and 2) I've been strength training (squats and lunges) consistently for weeks now.  My body feels great and I'm ready to start marathon training.

As for Mrs Schlub,  she is KILLING it this month. Let me start with her new running group,  yeah she started a running group,  how cool is that.  Group of ladies meet in the morning and run/walk/jog together.   So much positive feedback so far.  So she is on track for a near 100 mile month.   I tell her to watch her miles but she doesn't listen to me anyways lol but regardless she is doing amazing this month.

Alright everyone, confession time, are you Mr Schlub or Mrs Schlub this month?  Are you slumping or killing it?

10 comments:

  1. I actually think your training sounds about on point! Every runner I know takes an easy week or two after a race to recover. Even in a 5K, if you're going full speed, your legs need a little TLC afterwards! Being injury free while still knocking down goals is what it's all about!

    I think I'm somewhat in between this month. At this rate I'm going to hit 80+ miles for the month, which is really good for me. At the same time I have already taken a couple more rest days than what was planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blah I know your right, I need to be a little easier on myself.

      Hey 80+ is a really good month. I've only done that once. And we all know those rest days are just as important as the workout days.

      Delete
  2. I am kind of inbetween...I have been for longer runs (12 today!) but have had more rest days than usual, and usually run in the afternoon with the kids for 2 miles (pretty slow), but get in sprints (usually 100m or 200m repeats). I think the result is fewer miles of less intensity...Track finishes in 2 weeks, so no worries. On the really bright side is our girls team has been winning the meets! (we are a very small school, competing against big schools), and our boys team has been rocking the meets too (however they only have 6, so they can't win). So the kids are killing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that the two teams are doing so well. I guess the coach gets all the credit.

      Delete
  3. I've found my new training structure has worked extremely well and is allowing me to feel really good for each run. So far, I'm on track and I think I finally have my race schedule ironed out for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoy your new running life. I am still pretty PR minded right now but i know down the road i will transition to easy running just for pure enjoyment.

      Is your race schedule on your site??

      Delete
  4. Go get it! Get back in the routine and crush it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for mrs. schlub! i'm still looking for the right group to join. it's so hard because i'm not a good "routine" person and i run at really unpredictable times. i'm sure i could get more disciplined about it, but i'm not sure i'm ready for that much commitment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the great thing about her group. So many runners are saying "i just needed the motivation" and "i needed something to keep me accountable" and now the group is doing that.

      I'm sure there are groups out there like Mrs Schlubs which are very relaxed. If you can make it great, if not, no big deal.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!