Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, May 12, 2014

The Night Run 10K Race Recap


Mrs Schlub and I were running in The Night Run 10K on Saturday night.  Friends had talked to Mrs Schlub about it weeks ago, but the real attraction for us was that the finishers medal is a glow in the dark medal....that is SWEET. 

Race packet pickup was at a local running store so we went together to pickup.  Pickup was super quick, not a lot of people there when we arrived.  With registration we received a white event techincal shirt, our bib, some energy bars, and a few glow sticks.  We ended up going to the dollar store and buying a ton more for ourselves and our friends.

I wasnt super stressed going into this run as I was runnig with Mrs Schlub and trying to pace her to a new 10K PR.  But I WAS super excited just to be racing and getting to run side by side with her.  Still had my race gear laid out way in advance.


Grandma came over to watch the kids and we headed over to the event around 6pm.  The race was in the same area as my work so I was pretty familiar with the area.  The event had a few of the streets blocked off so there was a little bit of traffic but we still found parking easily.  As we walked to the staging area, we found some restrooms and hit that before meeting up with our friends.  Once we found our friends we kind of overtook the volunteer check in table laying out all our glowsticks and bibs getting ready for the race.  Luckily the volunteer manning the table was nice and actually helped me with some of my glowsticks.  We took pre-race pictures but unforunately Mrs Schlub and I had nothing buy blurry pictures, darn iPhone (little jab at Mrs Schlub because I dislike iPhones lol). 

After getting glowsticks and bibs situated, we headed to the start line to get ready for the race.  The countdown was on and soon we were off.  The race route was pretty narrow and we had trouble finding space in a few areas as we went off.  Despite the congestion she came out strong in the first quarter with a 9:45 pace, then we were able to settle into a smooth pace for the first part of the race.

Mile 1 - 10:14
Mile 2 - 10:11
Mile 3 - 10:31

The race route was a double loop so as we finished the first 3 miles, we came to the start/finish line again to start our second loop.  I have to admit, even though I was running a smooth pace and wasnt tired, it was pretty frustrating to see the 5K racers pulling off when they were done knowing that we had another 3 miles to go, BUT on we ran.  Mrs Schlub was doing amazing and was grinding through, but she was having trouble with her body loosening up.  Despite her body not giving her a peak performance, she still powered through the second 5K with some great splits.

Mile 4 - 10:33
Mile 5 - 10:22
Mile 6 - 10:28
Last .2 - 8:15

We crossed the finish line 1:04:11 at an average pace of 10:20 min/mile.  I am not sure what her exact time was for her previous PR but I think it was in the 1:07 time frame.  So she pretty much killed her old PR by about 3 minutes, that is HUGE.  As we finished together, we got our medals and had to display our new bling.


 Later we took some close ups of our new bling.



I had a new PR because this was my very first 10K and Mrs Schlub had a new PR but flat out grinding through this tough race.

Best part was we went with all our friends after to grab some good old bar and grill food and beers and had a blast just sitting around and enjoying the night.

Additional Items:
1) The race route was pretty tough in a few areas beacause of how narrow the sidewalk was or they didnt cone off enough of the road.  We were running on the public roads most of the way and there were many spots where the road was uneven and had cracks which could of created some problems.  I know we saw at least one running fall from an uneven sidewalk.

2) Running at night poses a problem for Mrs Schlub.  I wish I had brought my headlamp to help her see where she was stepping.  Mental note if we run next year.

3) I was surprised by how little GLOW that was out there.  You saw the bracelets and necklaces, but I thought for sure I would see full suit/shirt/vest glow attire.  Didnt see any of that, was pretty dissapointed with others, I thought I looked cool lol.

4) Mrs Schlub has been battling a pain in her lower leg between her shin and calf on the inner part of her leg.  We are thinking its shin splints but not positive.  I told her that I think it may have something to do with the inserts she had fitted the last time she bought shoes.  We will contiue to monitor this so she doesnt make things worse.

Question:  Do you have special foot inserts in your shoes or are you running on the standard insoles?

16 comments:

  1. LOVE the glow in the dark medal! Congrats you two, awesome stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its a really cool medal, glad we did the race.

      Delete
  2. HAH! I love the little thing you're wearing on your head! I am sure you looked way cooler than all the other runners!

    That medal is awesome! I may need to do a glow run to get one!

    The Mrs is killing all her runs lately - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to loop them in my headband to look like a crown.

      The medal was the main reason we did the race, if all glow runs have those types of medals, I say its a must run.

      Yes she is, she is doing amazing right now.

      Delete
  3. that's silly that other people didn't get into the spirit of it :(

    when i ran the disney wine and dine at night, they put lots of different lights up to make sure that the runners didn't injure themselves. it's definitely scary to not be able to see what you are running on.

    i just keep the regular inserts in my shoes, but mr. dawn LOVES the super feet "orange" inserts. he's bought them for years and has a set in all of his shoes, even his work shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure there would be a lot more "glow" at the race.

      I will definately take my headlamp next time.

      I keep the regulat inserts in my shoes too, she has them in there now and we may do a test run without them just to see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. Great job on running a solid race :) They didn't set up a 'glow tent' or area for pictures? Sounds like a head lamp would be helpful. I did one run like that at night this past year and they coned the streets off so it was fairly smooth, but I would bring my waist light if I do it again and of course my glow vest : )There were a few spots where it was really hard to see. I love the glow medal and how you fixed your crown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no glow tent, I saw the one in your pictures and that would of been awesome. They had cones at this run too but many of the roads we were running on didnt have lighting so it was pretty dark out. The medal is awesome and I was definitely rocking that crown.

      Delete
  5. Congrats!!! And sweet medal! I don't have any glow in the dark ones! I've done one night time race, but it was a little scary for me with all the people and lack of vision. Didn't want to turn an ankle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the medal is awesome. We felt the same way, the course was narrow and crowded and a lot of the streets were dark.

      Delete
  6. LOVE it! sounds good all around and that medal is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the medal, just wish we had more light and wider route.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea to buy and take additional glow sticks to the race! Congrats on two PR's. That always makes for a fun race! Beer and bar food after a race makes the whole experience even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we wanted to be super glowed out.

      Beer and food makes any event even better lol.

      Delete
  8. That's a neat medal! Congrats on a great race. Beer and food afterwards sounds like the perfect post-race celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medal was the reason we did the race. Beer and food is always the best remedy after a race

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!