Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, May 2, 2014

Still Got My Fingers Crossed

I'm feeling much better today compared to the last couple days.  I'm not 100% yet but I have a half day at work today so I'm hoping continued rest and hydrating will have me ready tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all of you for all your concern and especially all the tips,  it really helps to battle through these types of set backs.   Plus Mrs Schlub taking care of me is always the best remedy.  I hate having comments from all of you and not responding to them so I plan to do that later today

So a little info on tomorrow's race.   The race is called D - backs Race Against Cancer.   Our local baseball team, Arizona D-Backs, are partnering with University of Arizona Cancer Center to put on the second annual event.  They offer a 5k chip timed run and a 1 mile family fun walk.   Mrs Schlub and I signed up for the 5k and then will run/walk with two of our kids in the 1 mile family walk.  Great family event for us.

We picked up our race packet yesterday, packet pick up was easy, and the swag was pretty cool.  Everyone got shirts and everyone will get a finishers medal which is really cool for the kids.   They also had coupons to the team pro shop and a voucher for one baseball game.   I'll have more info after race day but so far things are going pretty smooth.

What's your big pet peeve about packet pick up?   Quick pick up? Good vendors? Good swag?

8 comments:

  1. My pet peeve is when a race charges you extra money to pick up your packet on Race Day. I was sunning a half marathon about an hour and a half from my home- not far enough (in my opinion) to warrant an overnight hotel stay. So I wanted to pick my packet up at the race and they charge $25 extra to do that! I couldn't believe it! There were so many things wrong with that race, though and I will never do it! (Sad thing is I never ended up running it because I was injured. They also wouldn't let me defer. Ugh I am mad just remembering this!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow I have never heard of that, yeah that would drive me crazy too. I'm mad for you just reading that.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Megan--not having free race day pick up. I don't mind showing up an hour early...

    I like a good race T-shirt for the races, some have had sock and gloves, that's good too...

    Good luck on your race tomorrow! You will do great! I look forward to hearing about it! I just got back from my first technical trail run of the season, still quite muddy from winter/spring, but good to be out there. I forgot how much more tiring it is on your whole body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100%, not having free race day pick up would drive me crazy.

      I love good race shirts also, and now we are starting to enjoy collecting the race medals.

      You gotta share that first techincal trail run. Its always enjoyable to read about the tough parts of trail runs and how we fight through them.

      Delete
  3. for marathon pick-up and expos...my only pet peeve is when someone who is a non-runner wants to tag along. i always feel guilty wanting to look around and check out the vendors, cause i'm sure it's not entertaining to anyone else except me :)

    good luck at the race! i'm sure you are going to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes....yeah that would be rough. I dont spend a lot of time looking around but I would still feel like i have to rush if they had no interest in the vendors what so ever.

      thanks for the good luck.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling better, and hope tomorrow goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, things worked out pretty well.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!