Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Slumping or Resting

I know I've heard and read about runners going through slumps after certain races.  Personally I think I'm just taking it easy since I don't have any PR attempts coming up and I start marathon training in 2 weeks.

The reason I bring this up is because my run was only 1.65 miles last night.  Still productive,  was able to pace to 10 min/mile in preparation for Saturday, and I was suppose to get up and hit the trail before work but decided to sleep in.  So far for the month of May I'm at a total of 8.25 miles lol.  Now that really is taking it easy.   Mrs Schlub is at 22 for the month so I have some serious catching up to do.  Now I have been battling some serious allergies and yesterday I did three sets of my squats and lunges which is the most I've ever done in one day.

But.....

No better time than now to refocus.  Here is my Plan for the next couple days:

Today - 3-4 miles at 10 min pace
Friday - Morning trail run
Saturday - The Night Run 10k
Sunday - Rest

I am super excited to start marathon training and have been working on my training plan for a few days now.  I need to continue to focus on the now and not overlook it by looking at my future events.

How is your training currently going?   Anybody racing this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. I think your body told you to sleep in because it wants rest. You increased your mileage in April and have already raced hard this month, so it probably needs a little break :) I always take it easy the week after a race.

    I'm doing a 5K this weekend. I haven't decided if I'm going to race it or not since I also want to get in a 12-miler... decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right, the body has a way of telling us when we are pushing too much.

      I say race that thing, what else you got to lose. Good luck either way.

      Delete
  2. I always take it easy the week after a race too. Sometimes it's just a mental thing, sometimes a physical necessity...
    My training is getting back on track. I have a trail 10 miler the end of June, and a trail marathon in July. I am trying to learn some new (technical) trails w my husband's help (I totally get runner's brain--and would get lost on my own...) It's hard getting the mileage up because of track season...but it's all coming around, with more meets during the week, I have more days to work hard on my own, without "saving" for practice later on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i need to start planning more rest after a race so it doesnt come so unexpected.

      Excellent that the training is getting back on track. Trails are the best and I am looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trail races.

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your resting / 'slumping' before your marathon training. Rest is super important too hey. I like the term 'slumping' though, so thanks :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would enjoy/annoyed, I know i need the rest but i feel like i'm falling behind on training.

      Blogger steal of the word "slumping" I see. Hopefully you dont need to use it on your blog any time soon lol.

      Delete
  4. i always fall into a slump after a goal race. i need the extra time to deflate a little.

    you are going to love/hate marathon training :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right, i just need to plan it more so that I am aware of it and it doesnt catch me off guard.

      I'm sure it will be love/hate but doesnt make me look forward to it any less.

      Delete
  5. I have a few running books by coaches I have really enjoyed and one thing they are similar in is - it's better to under train than over train. I always get nervous when my mileage drops but you aren't going to lose your fitness in a few weeks.Often you just need a warm up after a short break and then your next runs are great again. I am feeling worried as I face summer and I am not sure how to manage the heat yet this year. I am thinking i need to lower my mileage goals and it's a hard decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats interesting, I always worry about losing training.

      Yeah heat is tough to work through. We will be hitting 120 here in AZ at times and Im not sure how we are going to manage that. Im sure a lot of treadmill runs and super early runs.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!