Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rest Days and Getting Back on the Horse

Real quick, super excited that the Miami Heat won Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals decisively.  Looking forward to Game 2 on Thursday.

As far as running goes, confession here, tonight was my first run since the 5K race on Saturday.  Two whole days without a training run....WHAT???  I've been flip flopping back and forth about being happy about this and itching to get back to running.  Overall my legs were pretty spent after the tough run on Saturday and I really needed the time to rest up and get my legs back under me.

Buster and I got out there tonight and knocked out 3.5 miles for a nice and easy recovery run.  Goal was to alternate walking and jogging just to shake out my legs.  I'm running with Mrs Schlub on Saturday for our 10K race, so I thought I would work on my pacing so I can pace her to a new 10K PR on Saturday.  I took quarter mile attempts staying at 10 min/mile and actually did very well at keeping the pace.  I am looking forward to Saturday and helping her hit her goal.

So what is the plan moving forward??

This weekend we have our 10K race, easy pace for me and pacing Mrs Schlub to a PR.  Next Sunday we have a virtual run with friends and I'm looking at that to be a recovery run also.  I dont see my miles returning to normal until the week of the 18th.  At that point I'm transitioning to full on Marathon training.  I know the Marathon is a whole 9 months away but Mrs. Schlub and I are looking at some half marathons later this year to go along with training and I just feel I need as much time as possible to prepare for the Marathon.  This is what our schedule is looking like in the coming months.

October - Frank Kush Oktoberfest 5K/5miler
September - Flagstaff Half Marathon (Mr Schlub Only)
November - Women's Half Marathon (Mrs Schlub Only)
December - Hot Chocolate Run 15K
January - PF Changs Rock N Roll Half Marathon
February - Lost Dutchman 8K Trail Run
February - **The Phoenix Marathon** - This is the Goal!!

How much time did you use training for your first marathon??

11 comments:

  1. rest days are as important as race days!

    have you found a marathon training plan that you're going to use? i tend to get that on the calendar first and then build my other races and stuff around that. oh, who am i kidding, i build my whole life around it-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, we forget how much we need those rest days.

    No I haven't picked one yet, look I'm already doing a bad job of marathon training and haven't even started yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO HEAT!!!!!!! I cannot wait for Game 2. LeBron was seriously holding back. When they had him on the bench resting he kept getting up and pacing the floor. He was dying to get back out there! LOVE IT!!

    Yay for getting back out there for a nice shakeout run. So awesome that you're going to pace the Mrs. again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game 2 and we are up 2-0

      I love running with her and if I can help her get a good time it means that much more.

      Delete
  4. I'm always so happy when people understand the value of rest day or allowing their body to heal from an injury! I think people are too quick to push themselves sometimes in this world of "more is better". I'm a firm believer that you need to take care of your body and allow it the rest it needs in order for it to function and serve you properly (especially when training for a marathon!).

    Assuming I have a decent base I usually use a 16 or 20 week marathon training plan and do my best to stick to the scheduled long runs...I will shuffle around the shorter runs a bit if needed depending on my schedule, how I'm feeling, weather, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know if i consciously choose rest days but obviously my body has a way of forcing me to take rest days lol.

      Very helpful marathon tips. I have more than enough time for my plan and I intend to use all of it.

      Delete
  5. Yay for rest! After a speedy run my legs are like that too. You guys have some fun stuff coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should enjoy rest much more since its such a benefit in the long run.

      Yeah I am looking forward to all the races we have coming up.

      Delete
  6. Did the Flagstaff Half Marathon years ago (that's where my picture is from). It is a very runable trail, but you will get plenty of hills. The two big things are the altitude (the entire race is above 8000') and be prepared for all kinds of weather. September in Phoenix is so hot, you forget that it can be very cold up in Flagstaff. We got caught in a very cold rain that I didn't have the gear for and I ended up hypothermic. Not a fun way to finish a race (but I did finish). Be prepared for any conditions in that race. The weather changes fast up there. It is a gorgeous race though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very helpful information Chad. I really want to do it but we have some logistics to work out before we decide.

      Delete
  7. Don't worry about taking time to let your body recover after a hard race! Listening to your body now will prevent injuries in the future.

    I trained for 4.5 months for my first full marathon, but I already had a running base built up and had run several half marathons at that point. Your idea to have a few races along the way will help break the training up into chunks and should keep you from getting burnt out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!