Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day & Finally Group Runs

Let me start by thanking everyone who currently and who has served in a branch of our armed forces.  I had a wonderful Memorial Day remembering a good friend of mine who passed away in Iraq, and all those that provide us freedom each and every day.  Those amazing individuals that put there life on the line and all those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice in combat deserve all our thoughts and prayers.

I had two amazing group runs this weekend. 

1) Mrs Schlub has started a running group in our area and it has really started to take off.  I'm super proud of her for organizing the group and helping others with their running/walking goals.  The group runs at 4:15 am (yeah they wake up that early) and usually finishes just in time for me to leave for work.  So far I havent been able to attend and support her as the organizer and her fellow runners, but the kids started summer break last Thursday so our oldest was going to watch the younger ones.  This allowed me to go out and be a part of her running group and chalk up my very first group run.  I didnt have any expectations for the run itself except to run with whomever didnt have someone to run along side.  I was able to get a little bit of everything into this run, walked a bit, jogged a bit, and ran on my own for a bit.  Ended up completing 6 miles but more importantly had a great time running with everyone.  Great way to start out my group running and I really hope I get more opportunities to run with Mrs Schlub's group.  Again, super proud of her, she is doing an amazing job of organizing her group, and I can really see it helping everyone that attends.

2) At our local running store, a group of runners advertise in the store for a number of workout sessions they host.  Today they were having a 5k fun run for anyone that wanted to show up and run.  I was able to talk a buddy into going with me so we headed out to a local park to join the group.  Didnt really know what to expect but we ended up having a really good time.  This was literally a fun run with us having to slide down playground slides, hit baseballs in the softball complex, and find hidden books at locations on the route.  Also with the fun run, they had snacks and drinks along with a few fun raffle prizes after the run.  They really did a great job, everyone had a great time, and they got us interested in attending more of their events.  The group gets together for trail runs on the weekends and it would be nice to get out there sometime and hit some trails with the group.

When was your last group run?

12 comments:

  1. That fun run in the park sounds awesome!

    Love that your only goal for the fun run the other morning was to run with whomever didn't have someone to run alongside. You and the Mrs. should probably win some "nicest people" type award :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised how fun it was to not worry about time and just have fun with the activities.

      She deserves all the credit. I just go out to support her and the good she is doing for others.

      Delete
  2. Kudos to Mrs. S for getting a group going :) I love group and buddy runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is really doing a great job, I'm very proud of her.

      Delete
  3. Wow that's early! I do love running with groups. Luckily there are several around here that I can bounce around from one to another. Each has it's own advantages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great. They have a great vibe and can really help with training.

      Delete
  4. That's great that you are both so involved with your local running community! Kudos to the Mrs. for starting her own group!

    Last group run--with the kids at practice. I have a friend I have been running with about once a week. I hope to join a local group for the summer when track ends this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its huge that she started her group, so many people have expressed how helpful is has been so far. Really great stuff.

      Group run will really help. Helps with accountability and overall with your training goals.

      Delete
  5. That's great that Mrs. Schlub's running group is going so well! Whew, 4:15 AM is sooo early! That is when I used to have swim practice as a kid, and I would always be a zombie the rest of the day. Your 5K group fun run sounds like a lot of FUN. I've heard of 5K obstacle courses that have blow up slides and obstacles like that, and I've always wanted to do one of those.

    I can't remember the last time I ran with a group. But I have a buddy that I do most of my weekend/long runs with. We've been running together for nearly 3 years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey it works for some people. They are doing great.

      I was really surprised by how much fun I had. Usually focused on my watch for pace and time and this took me away from that and i just enjoyed all the activities.

      Buddy run/group run they are all helpful in different ways.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome that she started and organises a running group. And at such an awesome early hour of the day? (The best part of the day for sure, especially if you're running!)

    I haven't got much experience with group runs, except for when I'm in a race. But I'd love to join a running group when I'm back in a bigger city or where there would be one available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best part of the day for AZ too since it gets way too hot during the day lol.

      I agree, I hope to join in on more group runs. They offer so many benefits.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!