Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I've Reached the Summit!!!

 
**Disclaimer - Suggest watching with NO volume as I'm dying to catch my breath**
 
This is some of the technical areas as I was coming up to the summit.  No running here, this was slow scrambling up these sections.
 
 
 
Nothing felt better than standing on top of that mountain looking at the 360 view over the valley.  It was incredible.  Overall the run was 1.75 miles to the summit, 1200 feet of elevation gain, and a total run time of 1 hr 3 min.  Here is the elevation graph from my Garmin.
 
 
Only drawback was that running back down the mountain was only a few minutes faster than going up the mountain.  I started really early so nobody was on the trail, but on my way down the hikers were on the trail so I had to keep stopping to let them by.
 
Tuesday will continue to be my early morning trail run and I will continue to run this mountain so let me apologize in advance, you will see a lot of the same pictures lol.  Its more and more beautiful each time I run the trail but moving forward my goal is to get up the mountain quicker.  I think this will really help when my runs are on flat courses.
 
What is your elevation gain looking like these days??  Do you run the same trails over and over and over??



18 comments:

  1. Ahhh can't see the video - says it is marked as private!

    Congrats on making it to the top! That graph looks awesome! I ran a bridge yesterday and felt pretty cool, but you win :D

    (PS: sorry if this comes through twice)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I changed it after I got your comment.

      It was pretty awesome and a huge confidence booster, not sure how I top this one.

      Hey hills are hills, we all have different levels, your bridge climb was just as beneficial as my trail run.

      Delete
  2. Great video--great training climb--after seeing that, I want to go out and do trails today, but it is raining...too slippery.
    I have 3 trails close by , but one of those is a "network" so you can do many different runs in it. The rest, I would have to travel to so I don't do them as often. I still run on the roads most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way, when I see great pictures or videos it makes me want to hit some trails.

      The networks can be fun, it allows a variety of combinations and it feels like a new run each time.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! 1200 ft over less than 2 miles is no joke! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great run/climb but this was nothing compared to your Utah trip and when you climbed the Manitou Incline.

      Delete
  4. Holy WOW that is some serious elevation! I would love to do a trail like this. Congratulations on conquering that mountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cant believe how much elevation it is over that short of a run. Huge confidence booster to hit the summit.

      Delete
  5. That's no joke of a mountain run! I keep doing The Manitou Incline, that is my moutain fitness gauge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes now that is a serious climb. I read about the Manitou Incline on your blog and Amy's blog. Now that is a brutal route.

      Delete
  6. yikes! i will continue to be jealous of all your elevation! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying and I really hope it pays off in my flat runs and later with my first marathon.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing those videos! I really enjoyed watching them. Congrats on making it to the summit! That is one heck of a climb. The 360 view from the top is amazing, though. I cannot believe how rocky some sections of the trail are. I think I would quickly break an ankle or bust my knee open or something.

    I like doing the same trails, so that I can judge my fitness and see if I'm covering the terrain faster, taking less walk breaks, etc. But I also enjoy exploring new trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have had some pretty incredible views on your trail runs as well. Your pics always get me pumped up to hit the trails around me.

      That is how this trail will be for me. I plan to continue running this trail every week to see how my times change and I get better stamina.

      Delete
  8. Yeah! Awesome job hitting the summit, soon enough you'll have a case of summit fever! Downhills are a whole other animal, definitely takes some practice to bomb downhills - kind of like skiing almost.I have a few select lines I keep track of, otherwise I like seeing whats out there. Trying to keep my vert above 10,000ft a week right now. 5,000ft in the last 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am chalking this one up to you Mr Hall. Last week you commented that nothing beats a conquered summit so I took you for your word.

      I definately have summit fever, I have already started looking around the valley for other trails that offer more vertical. Nothing like CO of course but I'm trying to work with what I got lol.

      Delete
  9. That's quite a climb! That will for make sure stronger in many ways ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what Im hoping for. I hope my flat runs will be that much easier.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!