Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

It's How HOT?!??!?!

I came home from work and Mrs Schlub and I decided I would go running before dinner so I wasnt running at 8pm and could get to bed at a decent hour.  Wow that made the run really tough.  Today's high was 97 degrees.

Plan was to have a 1 mile warm up then run a 3 mile tempo run at about 8 min/mile pace.  I realized today that I am really bad at the whole tempo run thing.  Mile one was nothing of a warm up, mile one ended up coming in at 7:51.  Came out way too fast.  By mile two because I came out that fast coupled with the heat, I was pretty much done.  Mile two came in at 8:51.  From there I alternated walking and jogging for another 3 miles.  So total run was 5 miles with an average pace of 10:45 min/mile.  YIKES!!

Few take aways here:

1) AZ is REALLY HOT!!!  Enough said.

2) My hydration during the day is much better, no issues with dehydration today.

3) I really listened to my body during this run, my quads were super tight from the squats and lunges I have been doing so I took it easy on the last three miles.  No need to force the issue.

4) Hey I got out and ran.  So much better than Schlubbing it up at the house watching TV.

Hows the weather in your area right now?  Are you dying of heat/digging out of snow/enjoying the outdoors??

14 comments:

  1. Our weather is beautiful--60's or 70--You would have laughed, we had a track meet yesterday, the high was 72...Everyone was "dying" in the heat (oh the drama of jr. high...) I can't imagine running in 97 degrees... Do you use an electrolyte drink, or just water? You must always have to carry water with you...

    It's good that you completed the 5 miles...I never seem to have a problem going out too fast. It seems like it takes me 2 miles to get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great weather. We have the same problem in the winter, its hits 50 here and everyone is freezing.

      Right now I just use water, but i need to start using electrolyte tabs or something. I take my hydration pack on EVERY run.

      I think I just need to keep fighting through these runs until I get used to the heat.

      Delete
  2. I'm terrible at tempo runs too -- if I have one on the schedule I usually do it on the treadmill so I can control my pace.

    Way to go on five miles!

    Can you believe the Pacers made it to the eastern conference finals?! UGH. My prediction: Heat in 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treadmill would be much easier to do the tempo runs, trying to hold pace is just out of my ability right now.

      I know its a harsch word but I hate the Pacers. I am saying Heat in five.

      Delete
  3. i always try to remind myself that heat running is just extra endurance training...kinda like altitude training...right?

    love that first mile! and good job sticking it out even when the plan went out the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I didnt think about it that way. I keep telling myself to fight through it but I am definatley using it as extra endurance training moving forward.

      first mile was the only good thing during this run.

      Delete
  4. Yikes! 97 is rough. I am terrible at tempo runs also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was hot.

      I guess I just need to keep working on it to keep getting better.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff on getting out for a run before dinner! I left mine til 8pm the other night and then wondered why I couldn't get to sleep straight away or for ages, d'oh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the same problem I have when I run late. By the time i stretch, shower, maybe eat, have a beer, its around 11 pm and that is not enough sleep at all.

      Delete
  6. My runs this past week were in temps like that. Monday I ran 3 before work and then 2 miles after 2 min. walk break and 2 more...took me all day to get 7 miles in lol I reserve any kind of speed work for the treadmill all summer and just to survive...I can't plan in anything over 80. Good job on hydration all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm going to be using the treadmill a lot more than planned, but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It got hot here last week, but not that hot. It was in the upper 70's and low 80's and humid. But this weekend the temp's dropped back to 40's overnight and upper 60's during the day. The heat can really zap your energy, so make sure you give yourself time to adjust to it! When the heat and humidity first move in, I have to go off of perceived effort during a run instead of aiming for a specific pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to notice that but I have to run through it and just get used to it. Great tip on perceived effort.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!