Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Is This Heat Lasting ALL Summer?!?!

Well its obvious, being in Arizona this heat is going to last all summer.  This is our first running summer and so far it has been quite an experience.

Todays run was in the middle of the afternoon, probably around 95 degrees, good thing was that there was a slight breeze and some cloud cover.  Ended up running 4 miles but I wanted to stop and turn around after the first mile.  First mile came out pretty strong about 8 min/mile but after that I was once again diminished to walking/jogging through the rest of the run.

I keep telling myself that I need to keep running through the heat to get myself use to it.  Plus, as dawn @ running: the dawn put it, the heat really is extra endurance training much like altitude training is.  So this trend will continue, I just need to change my expectations for these runs.  My pace will suffer but in the end it will help me down the road with our half and full marathons.

No real questions today, so tell me something random thats going on?!?!

17 comments:

  1. also.... getting up early becomes an necessity eventually. i'm dangerously close to that here in central florida now. somehow magically we got a brief relief from the humidity this weekend and temps are going to be in the low 80s...so i'm going to sleep in and enjoy what might be my last sunday to not get up at 5 :)

    thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see Florida having some weather issues as well.

      hey no problem.

      Delete
  2. Random...my 11 y/o daughter broke her arm jumping hurdles...ouch! She was devastated that it was her right arm--difficulty writing, no violin playing, no more hurdles--She got a note from the doctor saying she couldn't write, do gym etc. She was all worried about school. My 14y/0 son however, thinks it's the "get out of jail free" card--He now wants to take up hurdles...Gotta love the difference in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes that is rough, hopefully she has a speedy recovery.

      Leave it to the boy to try and find advantages to a broken arm.

      Delete
  3. Random - watching a series of docos on youtube called 'Holographic Disclosure' - mind = blown!

    The more you run in the heat the more you'll acclimatise, and then, boom, when you run in cooler climes again, you'll be a better/more efficient runner! So, maybe all the heat and pain now will be worth it in the long run? I agree with Dawn - it is definitely endurance training! Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to keep at it in hopes that it really will make me that much better off down the road.

      Delete
  4. Your pace will decrease for now, but in the long run it will really improve!

    Check out this article that explains about your heart rate when training in the heat:

    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/what-pace-should-i-run-in-the-heat

    Also... you guys are CRAZY for running in the middle of the afternoon!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm going to check out that article.

      Yeah each time I'm running during the day I ask myself what in the world am I doing out there.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain the heat isn't going away here either or the stickiness. Last summer I lost about a minute and a half a mile. I went extremely or very late, I can't even tolerate sun...too fair and I get sick. I miss winter!!!!!! I love the freedom of coming home and going for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to start cranking out those early morning and late evening runs to beat the heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lived their 13 years and can't say I miss it. Never got used to it either. Rather run in the snow than that. In case you are wondering, it was 55 and sunny for my runs over the weekend here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah rub it in Chad. But the 85 super early in the morning isn't too bad

      Delete
  8. Last summer I did a "heat" run. I went out in the middle of the afternoon in 90F for 13 miles. I think my final avg. pace was like 13 or 14 min/mile! I'm sure Arizona will provide plenty of opportunities for those! Best of luck and way to enjoy the suffering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey cordisimo thanks for stopping by. Yes there will be about three months of opportunity for heat runs. And thanks for the best wishes on the suffering lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!