Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I Was Certainly Put In My Place

I woke up early to hit the mountain before work.  Hit the trail about 4:45 am (yeah that's right, I got up at 4am to run) giving me extra time to get deep into the trail.  Weather was perfect, had to be around 60 which was a huge difference from my 97 degree run yesterday.  I'm usually so excited to hit the trail that I get gassed pretty quick in the flat runnable sections, but today I tried to keep a smoother pace so I could use my time more efficiently. 

I hit my usual break point a bit quicker and got a good shot of the valley before the sun was coming up.  I've posted this same view before, never gets old for me.  We talk about this all the time, there is something that makes you feel good about getting quality runs done while everyone else is sleeping.
 
At this point I wasn't as tired as I usually am, my legs felt good, so I powered on and hit my second break point still ahead of my usual time.

 
I started to get deeper into the trail and to points I had never run before.  I felt pretty good about my run and was really pushing to get to the 1.5 mile mark to make it 3 miles on the day.  Then things got interesting.  I hit a crest in the trail and looked up realized that the trail pretty much goes straight up from this point forward.
 
I pushed on trying to hit the last half mile and it seemed like wall after wall of rock that I needed to scale.  I'd never been to this point on the trail and had one thought "Are you joking me!!!"
 
Yes that is the trail running up the spine of those rocks.  And just over that formation comes this...
 
Only way I could get up these sections was both hands and feet scaling up the rock face.  Do I need rock climbing gear in the future??  Well I hit the 1.5 mile mark after 1000 feet of elevation gain.  Yeah this was a rough climb, my lunges were gassed, and the mountain certainly let me know who was the BOSS today.  But this right here is why I love this trail...





Didnt know my phone did panoramic so I pasted two pics together lol.  I told Mrs Schlub, even though the run kicked my a$$ and my legs were wrecked for the rest of the day, I never feel like I am exercising when I am running trails.  It's peaceful, it's beautiful, and I just have a ton of fun...no way that can be exercise.  So I headed back down and took one final picture...
Sun coming up, great run before work, this is the life. 

Now I have to make sure and give due credit to the mountain, this was a gnarly run, 1000 feet of elevation and to this day I STILL have not hit the peak of the trail.  I can only imagine what is coming past the 1.5 mile mark, I'll just have to work harder next time to give everyone more pictures of what the mountain has in store for me.  Hope everyone enjoyed the pics.

When was the last time you had a route/trail that kicked your a$$ and you were feeling it for days??

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful trail pictures! That's some elevation gain...That'll improve your VO2 max!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that trail, I want to try and hit it once a week. I really am hoping it will improve my VO2 max and that flat runs will be a piece of cake.

      Delete
  2. I love all the pictures, it looks gorgeous.

    Man that climb looks hard! I bet in a few months you'll be talking about how easy it is though! :) Plus you are going to be crazy fast on flat surfaces after this type of training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as I get deeper into the trail it will just get more and more difficult just making me want to cry.

      Thats the plan, do these hill climbs so the flat runs feel easy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey Chad, that is Camelback Mtn, the Cholla Trail. Ever been up it?

      Delete
  4. oh man, i wish there was somewhere that i could run trails. i've heard that there are some a little ways outside the city...but i have a feeling that i'd only be disappointed with florida "trails". looks like a gorgeous run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty lucky to have a few trails near work and home. typically when you think of Arizona you think flat desert.

      Delete
  5. That's quite a climb! I don't have anything with serious elevation near me, I have to drive a few hours. That's a great workout for sure ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was every bit the 1000 I registered lol.

      Delete
  6. Wow, 1,000 feet of climbing over 1.5 miles! You are tough stuff. I've had that "are you joking me!?" reaction on trails, too.

    Views like that definitely never get old, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gradual trails are more runnable but it's nice to have something like this to test you a lot more.

      I've run this thing for months now and the same view still has me in awe.

      Delete
  7. Ahh I tried so hard to comment on this last night and couldn't from my iPad. These pictures are AMAZING! I wish we had trails like this around where I live. I'd be out there running (Climbing?) all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think eventually I'll switch to trails 100% because you don't get views like this on the roads.

      Delete
  8. Nice scramble! Looks like a challenge for sure! And good for you for the 4 am wake up!! I am wishing I had run early today as the temp keeps climbing and in hindsight, 68 sure sounds better than 88...Good job man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a challenge. 4 am works for me so I can make it to work plus it's good practice for when it starts to hit 120 degrees around here.

      Delete
  9. Wooooo!!! That is my kind of run! Scrambling can be even more fun than running sometimes. If you're ever in Boulder you absolutely have to check out the endless scrambling routes we have here. Last Sunday, sure put me in my place as well. My advice is start excruciatingly slow, hike when needed (or wanted, nobody is watching) and get that summit! There is something supremely gratifying about walking around town and seeing a nearby mountain you've conquered. Get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I can't imagine the vert out there in CO. I've seen your pics so I know the terrain is gorgeous.

      That is the next goal, have to hit the summit.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!