Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Crazy Things Runners Do...

What does one do after an EPIC trail run and reaching the summit....

Take a rest day, have a beer, and watch the Miami Heat lose at the last second (Don't get me started).

So as I was responding to comments from today (by the way thank you to everyone who commented, it was a huge accomplishment and I'm glad I could share it with all of you) I started to think about how much has changed now that I am running on a regular basis.  Primarily all the crazy things I am doing now to continue running and improving my ability...

  • Drinking 100 - 130 oz of water a day, What The He$%.
  • I am doing full stretching exercises at work to avoid injury.  I'm talking laying on the ground doing a variety of stretches.
  • I wake up at 3:45 AM to hit a trail before work.  I use to wake up a half hour before work and even then I would hit the snooze for 5 more minutes of sleep.
  • I scale rock faces in an attempt to hit the summit of a mountain (Thanks a lot Cordis).
  • I've been dehydrated more times this year than I probably have my entire life before running.
  • I've never been a big jewelry or watch guy and now I wear my Garmin EVERYWHERE.
  • I see running stickers on cars (13.1, 26.2, Ragnar, Rim to Rim, etc) and pretty much drool in envy
  • I've started blogging and spending hours each day reading other blogs to enjoy race recaps and get training tips.
  • And the list could go on and on forever...........
Overall I'm super happy Mrs. Schlub got us started in this sport.  I honestly cant see myself going more than a rest day without wanting to get out for a run.  Well those are just some of the things I was laughing about today when I was thinking about my running.

What are some of the crazy things you do since you have become a runner??

18 comments:

  1. I just went back and watched your videos from yesterday. That second video... holy cow! Great job!

    I only wear my Garmin when I'm running because I am obsessed with making sure it never runs out of battery ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was an epic climb.

      Ha...that is one of those crazy things runners do.

      Delete
  2. i love that you have made such a positive change. it's amazing the crazy things that we are willing to do for running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant even remember what we did before we started running. Such a positive change for our entire family.

      Delete
  3. I am a Garmin addict!!!! LOL I have developed some similar craziness, except getting up at 4 a.m. kudos, bud! Running up that mountain is impressive and will make your legs strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah all of us runners are pretty "crazy" in our own ways.

      Yeah that mountain run was pretty epic.

      Delete
  4. Still have a hard time remembering the Garmin...Getting up at 4 to go running is dedication...impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I am pretty crazy about my Garmin. Dont know what I ever did without it lol.

      Sometimes when I think about getting up at 4 am i have to ask myself "what am I thinking" but when i hit the trail its all worth it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I just found your blog through Meg Go Run! Hmm, I've only got up at 3:45 once, and that was in Miami to do a 1/2 Marathon. So I guess I'd say I'm willing to get up much earlier now that I run. I don't think I've gotten up near that time since! LOL. Good on you! I drink copious amounts of water on a daily basis now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, thanks for stopping by. I know lots of runners that have early morning runs and it takes pretty good dedication to do that.

      Ah tons of water is huge. I've changed that as well and I really drink a lot of water these days as well.

      Delete
  6. Ahh the crazy things we do as runners, that we don't think anything of :) I love seeing a running-related bumper sticker on other people's cars. Even if you haven't run that race or that distance, you still feel a connection with them because "Hey, it's another runner!."

    A crazy thing I do: Waking up earlier on the weekends than I do during the week for work, just go out and run for hours or to go run a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha we do that as well. I love the stickers of races that we havent done but is on our bucket list. I look on in awe.

      I never thought about it that way. My long runs on Sat make me wake up earlier than I do for work. that is Crazy lol

      Delete
  7. Haha, definitely the crazy early starts! Also, if I'm in a car and see runners out, I am quite a bit jealous that I'm travelling by car and not running like they are. Runners' envy perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man we do that too lol. Always look on and wonder how far they have run and how far they are going.

      Delete
  8. Good stuff. I find that I have a tendency to always look at the shoes people are wearing and discover if I know what brand and model they are (this also comes from working at a specialty running store). I also pack running gear first when I go on a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats a good one. Now that you mention it I do that as well. If I see running shoes I assume they are runners. Plus I always look for Asics now that I run in Asics.

      Delete
  9. lol great post! I stretch at school too. The students don't even ask anymore. I have the craziest IT band stretch and the kids barely blink an eye. If they do, all I have to say is, "Remember, I had KNEE SURGERY!?" hehehe. Crazy things I do now that I'm a runner... getting up early, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I'm sure that was an interesting sight the first time the students saw that.

      Let me know what that IT band stretch is, I have a few but always looking for new ones.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!