Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, May 5, 2014

April Training Recap

April was a great month.  I really have to be happy with the miles I tallied and the outcome of our race at the end of the month.

Weekly Miles:

4/1/14 - 4/5/14 - 13.32 miles
4/6/14 - 4/12/14 - 22.75 miles
4/13/14 - 4/19/14 - 27.5 miles
4/20/14 - 4/26/14 - 19.93 miles
4/27/14 - 4/30/14 - 5 miles

Total 88.50 miles

Most miles Ive had in a single month since we started running.  Great month to build on with marathon training starting in a couple weeks.  Also, and even more importantly, this was the first month of training where I didnt have any injuries and I honestly cant remember the last time my ITB was hurting.  This is HUGE!!

Pat Tillman Run - Helped Mrs Schlub knock out her goal and had a great time running side by side with her.

Goals for May

Races:
  • Dbacks 5K - Run the race between 21 and 22 minutes - Goal Met, ran the race in 21:31 and a new PR
  • The Night Run 10K - Run with Mrs Schlub and have a great time
  • Virtual Run - Recovery run with no time goals

Training:
  • Continue lunges and squats and hopefully add a weight lifting day each week.
  • Add more hill work into my routine
  • Add more speed work into my routine
  • Have one day for long runs that will eventually build to 20+ miles
Miles:

I'm slowing down the miles in the first two weeks with the races we have so 100 miles this month is going to be tough.  The remaining weeks of the month I should be able to get up to around 60 or 70 miles.

How were your goals for the month of April, did you meet them/exceed them/fall a bit short??  How is May looking so far??

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you ran 27 miles one week... the only time I've ever run that many miles in a single week is towards the end of half marathon training! haha

    This week hopefully I will hit my first 30 mile week, we'll see :)

    Have you picked a half marathon to run yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome week. That was the peak of competing with Mrs Schlub, she ran 25 that week.

      Haven't picked a half yet, eyeing a trail run half in September. We will see because it requires hotel stay and stuff.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that you run races with your partner! That's awesome. Great 'date night' methinks. :)

    Congrats on your 5km PR too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes many of these races so much more special that we are doing them together. We are having our first "date night" race this Saturday, should be a great time.

      Tough run but the PR makes it all worth it.

      Delete
  3. You are kicking butt! I am so glad to hear you aren't hurting, that is huge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good month. Wish I had hit 100 miles though.

      Yes, injury free has been the biggest plus over these last couple months, I love it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!