Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

1st Annual Race for the Girls - Virtual Run and Race #4 out of 4

A good freind of ours is headed to San Diego to participate in the Susan G Komen 3 Day Walk in November.  To raise funds for that event, she held the 1st Annual Race for the Girls 5K.  A group of about 20 got together to run the 3 miles together as part of our donation to her fundraising.

The weather was amazing, it was about 75 and just perfect running conditions.  Mrs Schlub snapped this on our drive over.
 
Our friends did a great job throwing this benefit virtual run 5K.  They had an aid station on the route, finisher medals, and even had raffle prizes for everyone who showed up, how freakin cool is that.  No competing here, nice casual run for a good cause.  Although, I snuck into the lead pack with a few people who really paced me well and we averaged about 9 min per mile.  Best run I've had in about a week.  Afterwards Mrs Schlub and I ran an additional .90 to make it 4 miles for the day.
 
Few pics from the event:

 
 
 
 
Great run and really impressed how they handled the whole thing.  Always pleased to help out something as amazing as Susan G Komen but this was really fun.
 
Does anyone else participate in any of the Susan G Komen events??

10 comments:

  1. That's so cool they did that for a virtual run! Run buddy and I did last month, but it was just the two of us lol Love the pink socks and that's a cute pic of you and the Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they did a great job putting this together.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That was a fancy virtual 5K. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I'm glad the weather was so nice for the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it was better than some of the runs I've been to. Weather was great.

      Delete
  3. Love how you guys do so many races for charity!

    How is the Mrs. leg feeling? Any better?

    The Heat game was a disaster, but honestly it's the kind of loss I can live with. Statistically, it would be almost impossible for the Pacers to shoot from 3 point land like that again AND the Heat won't play such miserable defense again. We've got game 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's how we justify it, if your donating to charity it makes it ok lol.

      She is taking today off because it's still hurting.

      I looked at the game the same way. No way Indiana shoots that high a percentage again. Time to take game two.

      Delete
  4. Good picture! How's the leg? ( mrs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is taking today if to rest it, we will see.

      Delete
  5. I have never done a virtual 5k, but I do know how hard it is to organize a race, so something like this would be a much easier way to 1. raise money for a good cause 2. run with friends, 3. have fun! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit all three, exactly what this event was. Had a ton of fun.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!