Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, April 11, 2014

What In The Fartlek???

Last night was my first attempt at a Fartlek, I think.  My legs were feeling pretty tired yesterday but I needed to run after taking Wednesday off.  Buster and I set out and after the first 3/4 mile I started to head back to drop Buster off.  Came out ok in the first mile at about 8:15 pace but I was speeding up later in the mile and he wasnt cooperating.  After I dropped him off, I settled into a pretty good groove and unknowingly attempted my fartlek workout.  I alternated running fast for about a quarter then slowing down for a quarter.  I still dont know if I was doing the workout correctly, but my legs were definately tired afterwards.  I'm sure with some practice or continued use, I could add this into my work out more regularly.  I havent ran speedwork since my ITB issues started so this was a nice alternative to get some sprints done.  It was an interesting experience, definatley something I need to work on, but I think it will help with my speed as I work towards the 5K in a few weeks.

Other item I am working on is transitioning to morning runs.  It works out best for our schedule if I'm running early in the morning and not late at night.  First attempt was Thursday morning, yeah that didnt go well.  Alarm went off, shut that thing off, and went right back to bed.  One attempt in the books and zero success.  Interesting thing is that I will wake up early on Sunday to hit the trail before Church but during the week I want nothing to do with early morning runs.  I guess its all mental.  So that is the new routine being attempted this weekend. 

Do you have fartleks planned into your training program?  Have you ever tried to transition from evening to morning runs or vice versa?

8 comments:

  1. When I was training for my first half marathon I did all of my long runs in the morning -- I would get up at 4AM and head out around 5AM. It was so tough since I am not a morning person at all. After I ran that first half, I decided it was best if I just do all my runs at night so that they are more enjoyable and my body is in less shock, haha

    I have absolutely no tips on how to get out of bed in the morning to run because I sleep in until the very last minute ... and hit the snooze button twice after that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I am the same way, during the week I struggle just to get up for work. Its going to be hard to get up even earlier.

      Ha I'm a snooze button person as well. Just need to get into a rythm I guess.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, can't help you on the morning running thing...I need to wake up, mill about, procrastinate...
    I did Fartleks for the first time in a while yesterday too, not on my run, but on my run with the kids in track. So it was 20 minutes on our very wet, grassy track. I was tired after, but it was good for me!
    I haven't done them on my own in a LONG time, but when I did, I would do them as "telephone polls". Do the distance of one t. pole jog, then 1 race pace, then 1 sprint, then 2 jog, 2 race pace, 2 sprint...and keep on building. Maybe that was a different type of workout, but it was a great one...much easier with a group too!
    Good luck with the schedule change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for nothing lol.

      It was a good work out and I think it will really add to my training if I do them correctly, I need to read a bit more to make sure. Maybe add them in every other week just to add variety to my training.

      Delete
  3. I am not a morning person, but I will have to do it this summer to run. I hope I am successful. I really love my snooze button. Great job on varying the pace. I think it will help you for sure. My intervals and progression have helped me learned how hard and how long I can push myself. I always vary my paces during outdoor runs, I just enjoy it but I can't keep it as exact as my treadmill work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the snooze button is great.

      I agree. these intervals will help a lot and it is much easier to control pace in the treadmill but outside is so much more enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. I like to run fartleks "unstructured". After I warmup for a mile or two I just pick up the pace substantially (stopping short of a sprint) until I reach a landmark along my route. Can be anywhere from 100m to 1/4 mile. Slow up for a while (back to normal pace) and pick another landmark to chase down. I just do this for 3 miles or so, then do a 1-mile cooldown. Works great, helps with leg turnover. You'll find that as you do this regularly, your "slow down" pace gets faster. If I want to do a more structured speed workout, I hit the track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great feedback. I always use my watch to gauge the 1/4 mile but the landmark method sounds even better. I may have to steal that from ya.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!