Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Two Thoughts After Last Nights Run


Two thoughts for today:

1)      My confidence is at an all time high right now.  Every run lately has me feeling quick and strong even with tired legs from the previous days run.  It really is a huge sigh of relief after the last few months of struggling through some minor injuries and some really bad runs.  I always joke with The Fiancé about my body being a machine and I can do anything at any time, well over the last few months I was really doubting that.  No longer the case, I know our first full marathon is a whole 10 months away but I feel confident and can’t wait for that race to come.  Of course not overlooking my upcoming 4 races in 4 weeks, I feel confident that my 5K PR is going down decisively.  Last night’s run was a 4.5 mile recovery run at 8:02 pace.  Not sure how many more runs Buster will be able to go on at this pace, it’s really pushing his limits and we may need to change our routine a bit.

2)      I started to look into my next pair of running shoes.  My trail shoes and my road shoes are running shoes we bought a while ago for daily use and they converted to training shoes.  They are working great and have miles left in them, but I really need to start researching to find what is going to work best for me when it comes time to upgrade.  I have been looking at the HOKA ONE ONE shoes.  First off they are worn and promoted by Sage Canaday, how can you go wrong there.  Secondly, shoes with that much cushion, again how can you go wrong there.  I have more research to do but that is leading the list right now.

As I was reviewing the HOKA shoes last night, I noticed that HOKA has a site here in Flagstaff, AZ.  Wow that is amazing.  How awesome would it be to be working for one of the big brand running companies doing athlete recruitment or client relations.  I think it would be awesome.  Now I figure there are two ways to go about doing that.  Get all the education you need and go the corporate route, OR you become a very good runner and go about it that way.  Heck if I keep running good and can continue to better my times, who knows what the possibilities are.

What do you think is the easiest way to work for one of the running shoe companies?  How do you determine which shoes are your next purchase?


6 comments:

  1. That would be so great to work for a running company...The easiest way, I have no idea...Wouldn't it be awesome to be one of those people who gets new products sent to them to test?

    I just got a new pair of sneakers. Mizunos. I went to the local running store and tired a bunch on, ran around, see which felt best. I have been a Brooks Adrenaline fan for years, and wanted to try something different. I don't like the super soft feel of a lot of brands (just personal preference). I know that I need some support, they analyze my gait, make suggestions, try them on...
    I have made a lot of "mistake" purchases, in hind sight, they were things I kind of knew in the store (slightly too narrow toe box, or the too soft feel) and then I just use them as my "everyday" sneakers (walking). I have since learned to trust my gut in the store, even if it means getting the same pair of sneakers AGAIN. (I have 4 pairs of Brooks, same model and color!)
    I am going this afternoon to get a pair of trail shoes and I am excited. I wanted to try on a pair of HOKAs just too see, although they are probably not for me...
    I bet you set some PRs for your races...keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I'm saying, you get all the new gear and get to tell the company what is good and what needs to be worked on.

      I really want to be picky in choosing my next shoes. You will have to let me know how your trail shoes work out.

      I agree, I see a good PR coming out of the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. In my experience, I can see two ways of working a running shoe company. The first, as you mentioned, would be to go the education route. As someone who works in a specialty running store in Atlanta, the other way I've seen people enter into running companies is to become employed at a run specialty store and stay on the lookout for when companies have openings (which are likely to be tech reps or sales reps of some kind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austin, thanks for all the info, really good look into the industry. What is the name of your store?

      Delete
  3. The journey to find the perfect shoes has been a challenge for me. Went through many brands. I actually ordered Hoka a few months ago and sadly they just aren't shaped right for my foot, I had to return them. The cushion did feel phenomenal! I recently switched to Altra Torin's for the gym and shorter runs but needed more cushion for a longer run so I ordered Altra Olympus. The cushion in them - amazing :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P88dMsvnZs
    They are a great trail shoe, I've only had them a month but so far so good. I ran and hiked in Montrail Masochist shoes for years. I loved my Montrail's so much when I first started running I used them on pavement and trails. They are a shoe that doesn't break down with mileage - tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, so many choices out there. I may need to look at Altra's, heard good things about them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!