Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sorry, I Change My Mind

Quickly about training.  Yesterday was a rest day.  Trying to switch to morning runs since its nearing 100 degrees here in AZ and its not going so well lol.  More on that later as I try to run before work.

So I'm changing my mind.  My recent goal was to run our upcoming 4.2 mile race under 30 minutes.  Had a great run on Monday that was just about there and I was confident I would be able to hit that goal.  Well yesterday I was looking at the 4 races in 4 weeks and realized I was only planning for the first race, and not all 4 races.  Not very smart on my part.  So I am officially changing my mind, and coming up with a new plan for all four races.

1) Pat Tillman Run - 4.3 Miles - This is a weird distance and the only way I could PR is by running this race EVERY year.  Which I plan to do but its not a typical distance.  So new plan is to run this race conservatively about 8-9 min miles.  Just going for the shwag.

2) Dbacks 5K - 3.1 Miles - This is the race I'm going for.  New plan is to go for the PR here.  My previous 5K PR is right around 23 min and I want to shoot for under 21 minutes.  This will be the big race out of the 4.

3) The Night Run - 6.2 Miles - This will be my first official 10K so I need to run this conservatively.  So like the 4.2 mile run, Ill be running this around 8-9 min mile pace .  Going for the shwag.

4) Virtual Run - 3.1 Miles - This is not a chip timed event, so I will be using this as a recovery run.  A bunch of friends will be together for this one so more than likely I'll run with them and keep a pace where we can chat the whole way through.  This should be a lot of fun.

So there is the new plan.  I feel much better having a full plan for all 4 races rather than trying to kill each one and ending up killing myself in the process.  I'll be training pretty aggressively for the 5K over the next few weeks, I really want that PR.

Do you setup a plan before all your races of just go out and see what happens? 

6 comments:

  1. Smart decision to just pick one to gun it!

    I usually only have one race on the schedule at a time, so I rarely ever have that problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it will be an interesting 4 weeks, but if I run smart it should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually set reasonable goals when I run races, but I always have in the back of mind if things don't go as planned just relax and enjoy the run. it's still running even if i don't meet my goal. it sounds like you have a great plan! I've done three race weekends in a row and the past two were really good so this Saturday's race I plan to just go with the flow and see how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I handle my training runs like that. Start out with a plan and if things arent going the way I expected, change the goal. A race is a whole different story. I'm going to hope I can stick to my race plan. I think you have a good plan for your third race, I dont know how I would do if I was going all out at all the races. That cant be a good idea lol.

      Delete
  4. I will tell you that this is a good decision. It is almost impossible to run the Pat Tillman run fast unless you are at the very front because the crowds are brutal. I did the very first one and it wasn't too bad, but after that they became so crowded with people that it was impossible to get a clear stretch from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for the great info Chad. This is my first Pat Tillman so I really have no idea what the crowd would be like. That is very helpful and will help to manage my expectations on race day. Going to be a nice easy run enjoying the atmosphere and the HEAT lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!