Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Body April Fooled Me

It was a rough run yesterday and I'm certain my body was playing an early April Fools prank on me. 

Had a great 5 mile trail run on Sunday morning.  My legs were tired but no real after effects from that run.  My ITB even felt great which is a huge plus.  Later that night I went and played old man softball which is limited running, but still on my feet.  We come to Monday and I'm looking forward to knocking out a few miles.  As my time to run came closer I just lost more and more motivation to run.  I couldnt decide if I wanted to run outside or run on the treadmill.  Eventually The Fiance told me to just jump on the treadmill and get it over with.  Plan was to warm up the first quarter mile at 10 min pace then alternate 8min and 7 min pace for the remainder of 4 miles. 

Yeah that did not happen, not even close lol.

I ended up with 2 miles at about 9 min pace just flat out struggling the whole way.  My legs were not under me and my form felt like I had never run before.  I was pretty dissapointed with myself after the run and really had to focus on the positives as I lumbered off the treadmill.

1) I ended the month in a pretty good place.  After last months 46 miles, I accumulated 74 miles in the month of March.  Of course The Fiance was around 100 but I'll get her next month lol.

2) My ITB issues are slowly going away.  Still no issues after last nights run and it feels like I'm on the road to strengthening in that area.  HUGE PLUS!

3) I still have about 4 weeks to get ready for our 4 races in 4 weeks.  That is plenty of time to get where I want to be as far as pace goes, I just need to be patient.

Now I could probably go down a list of a million things that went wrong last night and that I was dissapointed with.  But that would be useless.  Staying in the positive and we have a whole new month starting today.  #1 goal, more total miles in April than The Fiance LOL.

When you have a running partner/buddy who is struggling, how do you handle their frustration?  Do you console them?  Are you a drill sargent to snap them out of their funk?  Or do you use some other tactic?

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have one of "those runs"...I usually know because mentally I don't feel ready to do it. So I give myself a break, leave the garmin/watch at home and tell myself, just go for an easy 2 miles (outside, the treadmill is a harder mental game), then I am always able to stretch it out more--not necessarily fast, but longer. I will sometimes drag my husband along too. (He oftens tells me to just go--I tend to procrastinate if the weather is bad etc.)
    Don't forget, you started strength exercises...that will help in the long term, but it makes your legs tired in the short term. But STICK with them!
    We ALL have those runs...they are good training for your mind, and it usually means a great run is around the corner! It seems to me that you have been doing a lot of speed work--give yourself permission to take some easier runs where you just enjoy the trails.
    Your assignment...an easy trail run where you snap some beautiful AZ trail pictures for those of us who are warm weather deprived...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that my body is not going to be 100% EVERY day, but I sure do hate bad runs. I'm sure if I had run outside it would of been a little bit different run, so that is a mental note for next time.

      I know the strengthening is giving me tired legs, I can feel it all through the day. So that definatley had a lot to do with last nights run. Just need to stay the course and shoot for the long term goals.

      I could always do more trail runs. I think if ALL my runs were trail runs I would never have a bad run lol. You can count on the pics, I think i need to start taking a camera with me because my cell phone doesnt do our beautiful state justice.

      Delete
  2. I think we all have "bad" runs. Sometimes you can predict...not enough sleep, too much wine:) ( yea that happens), etc...sometimes I think I am going to be awesome and I take off and the lead legs settle in and I don't know why. I will say now that I have been running over a year steady I can accept the rough runs a lot easier. I use to get really discouraged though! Try to focus on being stronger and if your muscles need rest to be stronger let it happen :) and biking is a nice break. My run buddy and I always seem to be opposite. We rarely have good days together. We just let it happen and meet up and walk awhile so we can just enjoy some of the work out. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying positive is huge to get over those bad runs. I think this go around I did pretty good not beating myself up, but I sure wish all my find eye good runs lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!