Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Morning Run in the Books & 4 Days Until Race 1 of 4

I woke up super early to try and get a trail run in before work.  I hit the trail at 5am hoping to knock out 2 miles with 20 min up the mountain and then 20 minutes down the mountain.  Actually got done in about 30 minutes.  Without all the day hikers creating traffic for me, I was able to get up and down a bit faster.  I was sucking wind the whole way since I havent ran this trail in a few weeks, but I know its going to help me over the next few weeks.  I cant stop expressing how much I love trail runs.  The downhill is my favorite part.  This trail is pretty techincal and takes a lot of concentration to stay on your feet and to avoid ankle injuries.  I really enjoy the challenge and have been seeing some success thus far.

Tomorrow begins packet pickup for our race on Saturday.  Mrs Running Schlub will be picking them up for us at some point.  I cant wait to open up the race packet and check out the race shirt and my bib.  Its been three months since my last official race and I'm getting anxious for the race on Saturday.  Cant Wait!!

What do you think of the downhill portions on trail runs?  Pick up speed or slow down and save your teeth?

4 comments:

  1. My hill trail run is a pretty good incline--about 1200 vertical gain, and it is technical. Going up most places is a fast hike (rock scrambling) going down, impossible to run except for a few short sections. I took the kids on that hike yesterday (slower with them, but still a good workout). I was the slowest going down! I am always nervous about falling. It was the earliest in the year we have ever gone--we still had a few icy/snow areas, but you could go around them. I am going to try and do that once a week by myself as a training "run". The other trials nearby are technical, but flat. I need to find some more "runnable" hills.
    Can't wait to hear about your race--and how your fiancé does too.
    Didn't you say you were going easier on this one, and focusing on the 5K? lol--you are so not doing that--I can tell already! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my trail goes up about 1000 if I went all the way up the trail. I give myself about 20-30 min each way and try to go up as far as I can, usually only get about 500 feet up.

      I'm going easy on this first one. Fiance and I are running together plus this race is suppose to have A TON of traffic. Going to enjoy running this one with the Fiance and not worry about time.

      Delete
  2. I love fishing out the bib from my packet and then spending 20 minutes trying to get it straight on my shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the bib is the thing that tells me "its race time" and gets me even more excited for the weekend. Usually the bags have a bunch of cool stuff in them too.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!