Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday Blues...5 Days Til Race #1

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!!

We went to Church in the morning, had a great Easter service, then back to our house for a big family dinner and Easter egg hunting.  Lots of fun, lots of picking up after, but The FiancĂ© is the best host and I don’t know what I would do without her.  She cooked for everyone and handled most of the clean up after, I really owe her big time.  Everything this woman does plus putting up with me, she really has to be a Saint.  Of course today, back to work.

Running has been nonexistent the past few days.  I took Thursday off and planned to wake up early on Good Friday to knock out a long trail run.  Well got hit with Pink Eye.  Ended up running Friday night and killed some good miles during my training 5K.  Saturday was filled with family events so I didn’t get a chance to run on Saturday.  Then yesterday we had Easter.  Family and TOO much food, no way I was running.  Not to mention it feels like I am battling a cold or allergies, hope to kick it early this week so it doesn’t impact my races.  So here are last week’s totals:

4/13/14 – 6.5 miles
4/14/14 – 7.5 miles
4/15/14 – 4.5 miles
4/16/14 – 5 miles
4/17/14 – 0 miles
4/18/14 – 4 miles
4/19/14 – 0 miles

Total = 27.5 miles

Was shooting for 33 miles, that fell through.  Then was still hoping for 30 miles, that fell through.  Still a great week, for me this was the most miles in one week so far in my running career.  My goal for the month is still 100 miles but that is looking like a long shot.  I really need to focus on speed work these next two weeks to be ready for my attempted PR on 5/3/14.

How was your Easter holiday?  How are your monthly totals looking so far, are you on track/ahead/behind?

6 comments:

  1. I think you are getting plenty of mileage for the races you have planned. Probably better to drop the mileage just a bit and get one or two intense speed workouts with the timing of your race calendar. Just make sure not to do any speed workouts within 72 hours of a race so your legs are recovered. You are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad, I was leaning that way so your advice was the direction I needed to solidify my plan ove the next two weeks. I usually take 2-3 days off before a big race so I'll make sure to stay away from the 72 hour speed work. Appreciate your feedback very much, exactly what I needed.

      Delete
  2. I think miles are important to track, but I think it can be very easy to get way to caught up in them (myself being probably more guilty than most). Still its fun to see where you can get to and it looks like you had a good and fun week which I would say is the most important. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cordis, thanks for the comment. I am really bad about measuring my runs. I cant imagine running without my Garmin. I just recently phased out music during my runs but I am stuck to my Garmin. I am way to analytical to run without any tracking. Maybe in the future lol. Definately having fun at the moment. Well as much fun as you can when you are running.

      Delete
  3. You still had a great week! At this point some short intense workouts may benefit you the most- worry about racking some miles after your races :) Mrs. Schlub and you sound like a great team together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I really want to focus on some speed work and hill work to be ready for my PR attempt next week. The others I'll be enjoying the time running with Mrs Running Schlub.

    I think we are a great team, but of course she is the better half.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!