Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Loooooong Exciting/Scary Weekend

Tons to write about today so I apologize ahead of time if the post is REALLY long.

1) Today is Mrs Running Schlub's birthday.  I was suppose to go running early this morning but I was up all night decorating the house and getting her gifts ready.  Can't wait until she gets up, so excited!!

2) Had some great runs at the end of last week.  My base is getting up over 4 miles whic means I'll be ready for my first ever 10K in a few weeks.  Here is last weeks totals:

Sun 4/6 - 0 miles
Mon 4/7 - 4 miles
Tue 4/8 - 5 miles
Wed 4/9 - 0 miles
Thu 4/10 - 4 miles
Fri 4/11 - 5 miles
Sat - 4/12 - 4.75 miles

Total = 22.75 miles

3) Amazing trail run on Sunday with both some exciting and SCARY events.  I woke up early to hit a new trail.  This route had me grinding up a long steady mountain road for the first 2.5 miles.  As I was heading up the mountain I saw a dark object off in the distance crossing the road.  I slowed up thinking someones dog was loose trying to avoid it as much as possible.  As I started to get closer (mind you I was never closer than 20 yards) I saw what the object was and realized it was Pumba from The Lion King.  That is correct, a wild boar was out in front of me crossing the road into the desert.  I got the picture below from google because I was not taking the chance of getting close and taking my own LOL.


So I avoided these guys, they crossed into the desert and never even knew I was there.  So I continued along my route and later down the road what crosses in front of me this time??  A coyote with a fresh rabbit in his mouth.  Again, I was safe, I never got closer than 50 yards of this guy.  Another stock photo:

 
So at this point I wasnt even on the TRAIL yet and already ran into two new "friends" on this run.  I finally hit the trail and had an amazing run.  The sun was coming up over the mountains, the weather was cool, and my body felt great.  Run ended up being 6.50 miles at 9:56 pace.  This was with a lot of stops for some great photo opps.
 
 
 
 

 
Only hiccup after the wild animal encounters was the mountain bikers.  Got ran off the trail two seperate times because of mountain bikers.  I use to be a mountain biker and I dont think I ever ran anyone off the trail.  I'm sure it had a lot to do with these trails being single tracks, but man I was annoyed lol.  Other than that, amazing run, I am happy with the distance, and my body felt fantastic.
 
So that was my long and crazy weekend, filled with some interesting run ins and some great running.
 
How was your running this weekend?  What animals have you come across in some of your runs?

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Wild boars--I think I would have turned around. screaming.

    Great mileage! That sounds like a fun run, and you have a story to boot!
    I didn't see any remarkable wildlife (whew! ), but Saturday was BEAUTIFUL here--65! Tons of runners, bikers, walkers...I went for a run and we did yard work for the rest of the day as most of the snow is now gone. I am sore from yard work--who knew it was such good cross training!
    Total week mileage 33.
    Happy birthday to the Mrs. (I can't bring myself to call her Mrs. Running Schlub--it doesn't sound nice... :)
    Enjoy a great day with your family--and excellent job surprising your fiancé!
    Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the scenery has been beautiful. wild animals is part of the trail, so I just try to be conscious of my surroundings. definitely was not getting close enough for a pic.

      good week but 33 is even better. I think yard work counts as cross training, usually after a full day your whole body will be sore.

      Delete
  2. Happy bday to your fiance!

    That picture of the coyote is making me sad, but I guess even coyote's have to eat.

    I've never come across any interesting animals on my runs, but I guess that's what I get for running in the city. Definitely jealous of your trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she said thank you for the birthday wishes.

      yeah I felt bad for the bunny too but that's nature out here in the desert.

      yeah when I run in the neighborhoods I don't see anything crazy so I would think the city would be the be the same.

      Delete
  3. Not sure which side of Phoenix you live on, but if you are on the west side, the White Tanks Mountain Park has what is known as the Competitive Track, which is an up to 7 miles trail where everyone is required to go in one direction. It was a trail I always loved to run on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chad, we live on the east side of town so we are on the complete opposite side from the White Tanks. I've been hiking out there before and it really is a beautiful area. Definately some techincal trails out there.

      Delete
  4. Aww, that's so nice you planned birthday surprises for Mrs. Schlub. I've been married 25 years I am lucky to get a card lol Sounds like you had a great week of running and quite the trail adventure! I admit I hate when mountain bikers fly by on the trail - they yell usually but I am afraid they will run me over one of these days! I encounter snakes sometimes and I really don't like them....ewww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the best so she deserves to have a great birthday, plus she would kill me if I only gave her a card. Definately a trail run to remember. These riders didnt even do that, as the first one zipped by, it was the second guy that said "sorry." Very annoying when your trying to finish your run.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!