Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Looooong Weekend

Quick recap from my weekend.

Friday:
Set out to run a few miles with Buster since we took Thursday off. Started out the first mile at a good 8:30 pace but Buster just seemed gassed. He was already lagging behind me at the 3/4 mark. Finished the first mile then headed back to the house. Pretty much walked the whole way home so second mile was lame. Dropped Buster off and headed out again. Mile 3 & 4 were great at 7:46 pace and 7:28 pace. Very pleased with that run.

Saturday:
Had a little league game and then my charity golf tourney. Way too many activities so no chance to get running in, plus my legs were tired from being out all day.

Sunday:
Plan was to wake up early and hit another trail run. Alarm went off at 430 and my body said "nope lets stay in bed" and this time I listened lol. Legs still felt tired and I didn't want to lumber through a run so opted to rest. Had old man softball last night and my legs felt great. The extra rest really helped.

So last week:
3/30 - 5 miles
3/31 - 2 miles
4/1 - 4 miles
4/2 - 4 miles
4/3 - 0 miles
4/4 - 5 miles
4/5 - 0 miles

Total = 20 miles
April Total = 13 miles

Pretty good start but I'm behind for the month if I'm going to hit 100 miles. Need to knock out some miles tonight.

When do you opt for rest opposed to forcing yourself out for a run? How did your training go last week?

4 comments:

  1. When do I opt for rest?? WHENEVER THE ALARM GOES OFF AT 430. I am not an early morning runner...I like to procrastinate. I do enjoy when I have to get it done early (by that I mean 8am), but other than races, I have never been a get up and go running. I will run at night if needed. God help us all in my family if that ever needs to change!
    My training...mileage last week 24 miles. A little less than I had wanted, I will try and make up for it this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont go out for early morning runs to often. But the trail runs are amazing when the sun is coming up. Definately get up for that.

      24 miles isnt too bad. I'm trying to be around the 25 mile/week mark. Have some catching up to do at this point.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the miles! Do you do a long run now? It will help if you figure what works for your legs...
    I like to break my mileage into 4 runs. I tend to do one a week that is always 7 or 8 mi.(or more) so i can do speed work on my shorter runs. I try to just easy pace longs runs, although sometimes I admit I do a "fast mile" or two just so i can relax for most of the run lol I tend to only have 100 miles months when I actually have some vacation time off work :) it's hard to fit it all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with it, just need to keep working on building miles. I try to get in a 5-6 mile run each week. Thats the longest for now. I have a 10K in a few weeks so I need to make that my base so Im ready for that race.

      Agree 100% with it being hard to find time. Kids keep us busy so we grab miles here and there where we can lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!