Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Last Hard Run and 4 Days Til Race 2 of 4

Tonight was the night to get all my confidence for Saturday's PR attempt.  With that being said, I hope my training kicks in on Saturday and I can pull off my goal of running the 5K between 21 and 22 minutes.

I am one of those runners that likes to knock out my goal during training so I know I can duplicate it on race day.  That didnt happen tonight.  Plan was to do a 1 mile warm up with Buster then knock out 3 miles in 21 minutes.  I wanted to come out conservative in miles 1 and 2 averaging about 7 min per mile then try to pound out mile 3 at 6:30 to 6:45 pace.

Warm up went as planned, now that I'm writing this I think I may have pushed the warm up a little bit too much.  Dropped off Buster then my 5K was ON.  Mile 1 went well at 6:52 pace.  Mile 2 was going well but I could feel I was running out of gas.  Mile 2 came in at 6:56.  I barely made it to mile 2 and had to take a brief walk break after the second mile.  I started jogging slowly through mile 3, and ended up knocking out the last half mile at 6:36 pace.  Last mile came in at 7:46 pace.  So overall the run was 21:35 over 3 miles.

I was close to the time I am hoping for on Saturday but I really am frustrated that I ran out of gas after mile 2.  At this point I have to hope that the training will take over on Saturday as I am not making any more hard runs before the race on Saturday.  I'll have recovery runs on Tuesday and Wednesday, then rest Thursday and Friday before the race.

How would you categorize your running currently, confident? So -so?  Rather not discuss?

10 comments:

  1. You should feel really confident about this weekend's 5K because we always run faster on race day! It's just a given :) You won't slow down or walk when the crowd is cheering you on ... and there are other runners around who want to pass you :)

    Ugh, definitely don't want to discuss my running right now, BUT after tonight I hope that is a different story. My knee is feeling 100% today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, I just have to trust my training and give it my all.

      Injuries always throw you into a funk, that knee is 100% so now you can get back out there and start knocking out miles.

      Delete
  2. I think you will do great. You will have the extra adrenaline from the race.

    My running right now...hmmm. Not as consistent in the mileage with track and the kids were home last week (disrupted schedules). That's OK, it was a good summer practice. I realize with everyone home I am going to have to get up and go running right away (maybe even getting up early--GASP!) I think it will do my system good...that's what I keep on telling myself anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really counting on that adrenaline, I just need it to carry me through that last mile.

      Its a rough transition but I know I feel great when I run early in the morning while everyone else is sleeping. Makes me feel like I'm working harder than everyone else.

      Delete
  3. I seriously just had this same thing happen to me last week! Except kind of in reverse...I had just ran a 5k in a 7:30ish pace and then the next week I was scheduled to do speed work of 3x1600s. Well, all of my mile repeats were SLOWER than my 5k pace. My conclusion is that I always do better on race day. And I'm sure that you will find that to be the case. I bet you will destroy your goal. I'm excited to see how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what everyone keeps saying. I'm trying to stay confident and trust that my training is going to carry me through the race. Use that adrenaline to my advantage.

      Delete
  4. Good luck at your race and PR attempt this weekend! I'm rooting for you. If it makes you feel better, when I was a kid a bad practice before a big game or meet (swimming) almost always turned into a great performance come go-time. The hype of race day will give you that extra umph :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I never looked at it that way. I use to think the same thing in all my sports too. If I had a bad game, that meant I was do for a good one the next game. I am going to be counting on that race day adrenaline for sure.

      Delete
  5. Lots of luck to you on your PR goal this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'll give it my all.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!