Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Good Ol Buddy Run & A Monster Week


Wasn’t sure if I wanted to take last night off or if I wanted to run.  Decided to contact my running buddy and see if he was running last night.  He needed to get out for a run so there you have it, I was running and we were meeting up for a buddy run.  I headed over to his house which is about 1.25 miles.  Then based on his watch we ran another 2.6 miles at his pace.  Then I finished off the night running home.  Had to run up and down my street a few times to get my run to even mileage.  So I ended up with 5 miles at 9:26 pace.  It was a great recovery run for me.

I was telling The Fiance last night that I need to get out for a hard 5K in the next couple days to see where I’m at for our 5K race on the 3rd.  I really want to be between 21 and 22 minutes finishing time but overall my current PR is 23:26 and I’m pretty sure that is going down that day.  I’ll keep you posted on training but I feel confident about this goal.

So lastly, I am having a monster week.  Since I really started tracking my runs,  which was in February, the highest number of miles I’ve run in one week was 22.75, and that was last week.  Right now we are complete with Wednesday and I’m already at 23.5 miles.  I could easily see another 9-10 miles coming out of the next couple days bringing me to 33 miles for the week.  That is huge for me.  Plan for the rest of the week is a 3 mile speed work run tonight then a 6-7 mile trail run on Friday morning (Thank you Good Friday).  I’m stoked and cant wait.

How many miles have you logged this week?  How have your legs/body been feeling lately with the training you have been putting together?



10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the week is going well. I will suggest that you pursue a weekly total mileage increase of no more than 10%. I say this from experience and plenty of issues in the past. My mileage would drastically fluctuate from week to week, and it was a recipe for unnecessary aches and pains that could have been avoided. Right now I'm on par for about 35 miles this week. I had a recovery run this morning: 9:20 pace for 6 miles. My coach said that this is one of the biggest mistakes runners make - not treating a recovery run as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to monitor my milage pretty closely. I base all my runs on my body, if I'm feeling good I run, if I'm feeling some aches and pains, I shut it down.

      I have the same problem with recovery runs. I always end up running them as tempo runs. These buddy runs have really been helping because I have to run at his speed.

      Delete
  2. My mileage has been terrible this week! We went from a beautiful 2 days, back to a new covering of snow and cold...Seriously, it's Wednesday, and I have only done 10 miles. We have had a busy "family" week too--2 winter, I mean Spring, track meets which take about 4 hours in the afternoon...and it's Holy Week, and I play piano/keyboard for our church music team so lots of rehearsals...That's OK. It's good to have a "rest" week every now and then...

    I ended up with Brooks Cascadia 9 trail shoes...I will test them out when the trails are clear (sounds contrary to the trail running mindset, but I am so done with running with Yaktrax this season!) I tried on the HOKAs--wow! Really different feel...Maybe if I ever work up to an 100!

    Thinking of road tripping it down to Boston with the kids on Monday to catch a glimpse of the marathon...Great motivation.
    Boston Strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the weather can really throw a wrench into your training plan. Agree 100% that "rest" weeks are good every now and then.

      Heard good things about Brooks. Some reason I'm set on the Hoka. But we will see how they feel when I decide to go try them on.

      Visiting Boston would be amazing. Totally inspirational, I would take tons of pictures.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 33 miles! I'll be running 30+ miles for the first time ever next week. I think I feel most comfortable around 25 miles a week, which is what I normally do during half marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its a pretty huge week, seems about 25 is the norm for me too but I need to keep building miles. Although, I cant forget about speed work too.

      Delete
  4. What a great week. I've only hit 30 mile weeks a few times, always when i am off work for vacation lol So far this week only 10.5 miles but legs seem to need a break. I am at 49 miles for the month so far so even if I have a low week I feel okay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its tough to find time to get in long runs. Sometimes you need those low milage weeks to let your body recover, you will get back at it next weeek for sure.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I reckon if that's your current time for a 5km in training, then on race day you will surely smash it! And will get your 21-22 minutes result! All the adrenalin/excitement/cheering crowds will help no end.

    Great work with the mileage increase. I work in kms, so not sure how many miles, but kms has been about 68-69 ish (I think) this week. Now for a rest day tomorrow.

    I have nominated you for the Liebster award! Here’s the link to my blog post where your ten questions await you:

    http://runningthroughchina.weebly.com/1/post/2014/04/question-time.html

    Enjoy! Cheers, Lou 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes that adrenaline/excitement works against me, I usually have to pull back a bit so I dont "go out to fast." About 1.6 kms per mile so you are at about 42.5 miles if I calculated that correctly. If that is the case WOW that is a lot of miles.

    Liebster award, that is amazing, I'll go there today and check it out. Thank you so much for tha nomnation, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!