Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Good Friday = Thankful for my Blessings

I was off from work yesterday and the kids were home from school.  The weather was beautiful, slight overcast in the morning with some sprinkles here and there.  As a family we got out and did some Easter activities together.  So much to be thankful for, my family and I are truly blessed, and we owe it all to our faith in Jesus.  As we have made church more prominent in our lives, I always make it a point to discuss with the kids why we have days off like Good Friday.  We want them to realize that its not "just another day off," but there is a good reason behind why we were off that day.  Then to appreciate all the blessing we have in our lives and to not take them for granted.  Hope everyone had a great Good Friday!

As for running, my week of 33 miles is just about shot.  I decided to take Thursday off and I was going to hit the trail on Good Friday for a nice long trail run.  Well I woke up really early on Thursday morning with Pink Eye.  Spent the whole morning rinsing out my eye, going to the closest Wellness Clinic, picking up the script, then dumping drops into my eyes.  That really sucks!!  But things turned around, again it was a beautiful day to be outside.  So we took the kids to an Easter event where the little ones got to hunt for eggs which was really fun and filled with lots of photo opps.  Then we had some friends come over and we let the kids color eggs, that is always a blast.

Finally I got to run.  The plan was 1 mile warm up with Buster, then run a 5K.  Run the first mile of the 5K hard, easy second mile, then finish the last mile hard.  Pretty much went as planned and I was super stoked when I was done.  Here are the splits from last night:

Mile 1 - 10:43 - Warm up with Buster
Mile 2 - 6:36 - 5K mile one, came out hard
Mile 3 - 9:59 - 5K mile two, rested a bit
Mile 4 - 6:50 - 5K mile three, tried to finish hard

Although my day started out rough, and my 33 mile week is shot, this really has me excited for my 5K in two weeks.  Also, if I can get out today and run another 3.5 miles, that will put me at 30 miles for the week which I have never done before, so we will see.

What did you and your family do on Good Friday?  Do you discuss with your family why we celebrate some of these holidays?

4 comments:

  1. It's so important to to plant seeds of faith with children when they are young. You are doing the important parenting work :) Great job on the runs this week! Your 6 min. miles are crazy lol you are going to have some great races in the next few weeks :) I went to a wedding on Easter...lots of driving but it was really nice to see a young couple in love (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiance kind of led us that way and Im really glad she did. Really helps you look at your life correctly. Then we can instill that in the kids as well.

      I feel really good about the runs, and I was really surprised by the 6 min miles as well. A bit faster than I thought was possible.

      Delete
  2. Great splits!

    I feel it is important to teach kids about Good Friday...my kids had early release ( special school chapel that day) and we had church in the evening. Saturday we set up for church at the town hall ( it requires a lot of moving sound equipment) and church on Sunday!
    I can't wait to hear about your upcoming races. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm both surprised and happy about the splits. A bit faster than I thought I could run, but it has me really confident for my upcoming runs.

      Wow now that is a lot of Church events. Understandable with Easter and Good Friday being the big weekend for Church attendance.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!