Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Getting Nervous and 2 Days Til Race 1 of 4

Ok everyone, I have a confession to make, I'm getting super nervous for next week's run. 

In two days we have Pat's Run.  4.2 miles on a pretty flat course and I'm going to run this race for pure enjoyment.  Mrs Schlub has granted me permission to be her running partner, so it should be a nice easy training run for me.  I'm looking forward to taking in all the festivities, all the crowd support, and pretty much all the things I dont get to enjoy when I'm focusing on running a race for time.

As for next weeks run.  I am planning on running for a new 5K PR and I'm getting nervous as to whether I set my goal to aggressive and if I'm ready or not.  Tonight was suppose to be speed work but I skipped that to see where I was at pace wise for the 5K.  Plan was to do a 2 mile walk/jog warm up to get Buster his exercise for the night, then hit the 5K hard.

Well the first 2 miles went as planned.  Dropped Buster off and it was ON.  The first two miles of the 5K went really good but I was pretty much gassed at the pace I was running.  First mile was at 6:40 pace and the second mile was at 7:02 pace as I started to run out of steam.  Packed it in for the third and jogged my way home.

I know a lot of factors were working against me.  1) My legs were tired from the last two days of trail runs and all the elevation gain.  2) I dont usually do a two mile warm up regardless of the pace 3) This run was late in the evening after a full day of work.  I'm happy that the two miles were at a good pace but at the same time I'm nervous about being able to keep that up for one more mile.  Good thing is that I have a few more days to get some good runs in and get my confidence up for next week.

Are you one of those runners that needs to knock out your goal before race day or do you trust your training and go into the race knowing your training will come through for you?

4 comments:

  1. Remember, pre-race jitters are normal. That's part of the adrenaline that will help the PR. I am a "trust my training" type...I often repeat in those nervous moments, You've done the work, now have fun with it!
    If you have your Garmin, try swapping out your first two miles, go 7:02, then 6:50, and then 6:50...You will be tempted to do the first mile even faster during a race, but hold it back a bit, and you will pull out the other 2. That last mile, focus on pulling it together with good form. (ha--you wanted some coaching, right? Hey, one of the things we runners like to do is strategize!)
    YOU WILL DO GREAT!
    Have fun! Can't wait to hear about this week's race--good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the adrenaline does take over. I'm a do it in training to be sure I can do it at the race kind of person.

      Definately need the coaching tips, I can use all the help I can get.

      Delete
  2. I think race day adrenaline will carry you through that last mile. It's really easy to call it a day when you're just out for a training run on your own, but when you're with lots of other runners and you're heading towards a finish line -- that's a completely different story. You'll do great! You've been putting in a ton of work for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I like to think I have been putting in some good training and I have some really good runs under my belt. Just need to get out there and run.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!