Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Classic Recovery Run

After Mondays dominating performance, I wanted to take it easy last night with a very slow recovery run. Typical recovery run to shake out the legs. Ended up with five miles at about 9:30 pace. Just your basic leisurely jog. Although I did knock out the last quarter at 6:48 pace and it felt great.

Now something I've been noticing. My ITB is feeling tons better, I've been stretching a lot lately, and have added squats and lunges to my work day. BUT the thing I've been working on and seems to help the most is.....Foot Plant. Early in running I really had a lot of toe strike in my stride. I was trying to keep this form while also landing under my body, no bueno. Now I'm trying to land flat on my foot which has been taking a lot of the stress off my ITB. Incredible!!! I'm getting more confident with each run. I still prefer trail running but my last two runs have been about 75% road/sidewalk and 25% grass/gravel which really helps with my races coming up. Yet, I still feel faster on the trails for some reason lol.

Do you work on foot plant at all? Do you feel faster on road runs our trail runs?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't worked on foot plant, but I have on cadence, and that really helped me. I have a natural mid foot landing. I have noticed to that focusing on form helps me when exhausted in a race. It gives me something to think about and focus on other than being tired!
    I feel faster on trails too-- maybe it's the proximity to trees going by...who knows!
    Just watched the movie "desert runners" great movie. Inspiring, although it doesn't mean I want to run through a desert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had a natural mid foot landing. Its been a work in progress to this point. I agree that focusing on form helps a lot late in a race when you are running out of gas.

      For me I love to hear the sound of the trail as I run. Sounds much better than the pounding on pavement. Hey you cant knock running through the desert until you try it.

      Delete
  2. When I'm doing speedwork I try to be really conscious of *everything* from my cadence to foot landing to posture and everything in between. I think running through the checklist helps take my mind off of the pain ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% that when you can focus on something other than being tired, it helps so much. I think as I educate myself more I have a better idea of what I need to do to run more efficient. Always trying to be better each run.

      Delete
  3. yay for feeling better! Whenever I skip stretching after a run I pay for it. That's good at the end of 5 miles you felt good enough to pick it up. I like to end a run strong too ") but sometimes I can't lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels Good To Just Get Out And Run Not Worrying About My Knee. I Pay For Skipping Stretching Too. Definitely Feels Good To End A Run With A Good Hard Sprint.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!