Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Marathon & Nothing This Tough Can Be Good For You!!

BOSTON STRONG!!  I'm glad the Boston Marathon went off without any issues.  The coverage was amazing and it was unbelievably inspirational to see all the runners.  I tried to watch the finish line cam but was unable to get it working.  Either way it really got me geared up for my upcoming races.

So what's so tough I can't believe it's actually good for you???

Of course I'm talking about SPEED WORK!!  The plan was to have a 1 mile warm up, then alternate each quarter mile running and jogging for three miles.  I was really happy with the quarter times but I was definately tired at the end of the run.

Total Distance = 4 miles

1st Hard Quarter = 1:32 - 6:10 pace
2nd Hard Quarter = 1:28 - 5:52 pace
3rd Hard Quarter = 1:30 - 6:01 pace
4th Hard Quarter = 1:35 - 6:20 pace
5th Hard Quarter = 1:35 - 6:22 pace
6th Hard Quarter = 1:36 - 6:28 pace

I'd like to get in two more of these work outs before my 5K in two weeks. 

Its only Monday but I'm super excited for our race on Saturday, feels like FOREVER since I've been in a race and cant wait to be there with our friends and all the other racers.  The atmosphere at races is amazing and you cant help but get excited.

So what do you think of speed work? 
Any other workouts you dislike but know they are greatly beneficial for you??
Do you get excited about upcoming races?

8 comments:

  1. Hah! Nothing this tough can be good for you, is such a great way to describe speedwork! I mean, during it you feel like you're literally dying a painful death, but then it's over and you feel like champion of the world! ... Well it usually takes me a minute to decide if I'm going to faint or puke, and then I feel like champion of the world :) Your fast pace is killer! You're gonna crush your upcoming races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, dying during, but felt great after.

      I feel confident that these work outs and my splits are good signs for my races.

      Delete
  2. I suppose that speed work depends on the day for me. I have a coach who has started a plan for me for a fall marathon, so right now base mileage is the emphasis. I'm hopeful that a few track workouts or tempo runs will be interspersed to build up my pace some. I don't mind speed workouts, but if I have not had enough carbohydrates the day before, I can feel myself dragging.

    Hill repeats are awful for some runners, but I enjoy running up hills hard. Running down them is another story - that I do not like. I don't have any races yet, but they will likely coincide as marathon training gets into full swing. What I like about races for marathon prep (5K, 10K, half marathon) is that they provide an accurate gauge about where you are and where you aspire to be (based on a goal finish time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, right now with my focus being on the 5K, speed work is the key. After these 4 races my focus will switch to total miles as we get ready for half and full marathons.

      I enjoy hill work, do a lot of trail runs and I actually enjoy the downhill more than the uphill. Takes a lot of techincal running.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That seems like a great workout! I can usually get myself into a hard workout (speed, hills etc.) it's the day after a hard workout. Running on tired legs, sometimes I lose that mental game!

    The marathon was really amazing. I was so excited. They just blow my mind...I can't even keep up for 1 mile, CRAZY FAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, tired legs the next day is tough. Usually hard to get motivated when your legs feel that way. I usually schedule a recovery run because i know my legs will be tired.

      I cant believe how fast they run for those 26 miles. I feel fast running 6 min pace for a quarter mile, and they are running faster than that for 26 miles, thats nutz.

      Delete
  4. Your pace is killer lol Speed work these past few months were a challenge for me - I am thrilled with the results i achieved, but it's not something I want to continuously do. My last run I did 3 fairly easy pace miles and then picked it up for just 2 and it was so enjoyable! I am always a bag of nerves at races lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you can look at it that way too, if I slowed down a bit I probably wouldnt be dying as much.

      I know its hard to do, and would probably be the last thing i choose to do, but its so beneficial if you want to decrease your race times. So I kinda have to do it lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!