Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, April 25, 2014

10th Annual Pat's Run

Patrick Daniel Tillman was born and grew up in Fremont, CA.  He was an exceptional football player leading his high school to the Central Coast Division I Football Championship, then going to play at Arizona State University.

Despite many critics categorizing Tillman as "small" for his position, he helped lead ASU to The Rose Bowl during his Junior year.  Over his college career he was named the Pac-10 Defensive player of the year and awarded many scholastic awards including the Clyde B. Smith Academic Award and the Sun Angel Student Athlete of Year just to name a couple.  He graduated from ASU in 3.5 years and finishing with a 3.85 GPA.

In the 1998 NFL draft, Tillman remained in the state of AZ by being selected by the Arizona Cardinals.  Tillman accrued many statistical achievements while playing for the Cardinals providing what an exceptional athlete he was.  In May 2002, eight months after the September 11 attacks, Tillman turned down a contract offer of $3.6 million over three years from the Cardinals to enlist in the US Army.

Pat and his brother Kevin enlisted in the US Army in 2002 and completed basic training later that year.  They quickly entered and completed the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program at the end of 2002.  Tillman was a part of the initial push of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 then entered Ranger School and graduating in late 2003.

Tillman paid the ultimate sacrifice on April 22, 2004 when he passed away in Afghanistan.  The Pat Tillman Foundation was established after he passed to continue his legacy and inspire others to strive for positive change in themselves and all over the world.

This year is the memorial 10th Annual Pat's Run in Tempe, AZ.  As I'm new to running this will be my first year to participate and I cant be more proud and honored to be running.  I have my own personal feeling and experiences to share at another time which makes this event all the more special, but Tillman has an amazing story worthy of being shared and more than worthy of my entry fee and my sweat at the 10th Annual Pat's Run.

4 comments:

Thank you for your comment!