Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

10th Annual Pat's Run - Race Recap

This past Saturday we participated in the 10th Annual Pat's Run in Tempe, AZ.  For Mrs Schlub and I, this is race 1 out of 4 races in the next 4 weeks.  The goal coming into the race was to run with Mrs Schlub and hopefully pace her to a 40 min total time. 

We were worried about the weather as it was forecasted for some rain and a lot of wind.  I would not of minded the rain so much but the wind is a run killer in my eyes.  We woke up at the bright hour of 4am to get ready for the race.  Race friends picked us up at 5 am and we were headed off to meet our group for the run.  We got to the starting area pretty early and were actually surprised how small the crowd was.  We decided to hit the restrooms right then and there since the lines were so small, literally had 3 people in from of us.  Weather was perfect, no wind and a cool 60 degrees.  We had a group of about 7 so we took the opportunity to take some pre race pictures and kill a little time before we headed to our corrals.

Got to our corral about 30 minutes before race time so we all started stretching, getting headphones situated, and any other race prep we needed.  The National Anthem always gets me, I feel lucky and blessed that I'm able to be out there running and the Anthem just adds to how special these moments are.  After that they started sending out the corrals with about 5 minutes between.  We were in corral 8, there were actually 28 corrals, can you believe that???

Crossed the starting line and we were off, not as congested as I thought it was going to be but there were definately a lot of people.  As I've been running more, I've noticed that I actually need warm up runs these days to get my legs loose and into a good rythem.  So as Mrs Schlub and I started I could feel my legs were a bit heavy and sluggish.  Not a big issue though because we were at a pretty good pace and a bit faster than I thought we would be starting out.  First mile came in at 10:01, Mrs Schlub was doing great.  Second mile comes with a pretty good size hill through it so I thought it was going to be pretty rough and at one point up the hill Mrs Schlub reminded me about my pace and I had to pull it back a little bit.  Second mile came in at 9:55, so she was right, even up the hill we were faster than the first mile.  Third mile I had to take a quick detour to use the restroom, too much water waiting in the corral, luckily they were wide open and I was in and out.  Mrs Schlub kept running so I had to kick it into gear and navigate a ton of people to catch up to her.  Third mile came in at 9:33, Mrs Schlub was flying.  Fourth mile is the home stretch, we go up and over a bridge then across the college campus to the ASU football stadium.  Last mile Mrs Schlub came in at 9:23 really stepping it up to close out the run. 

Overall our time was 40:19, so we hit Mrs Schlub 40 min goal, with an average pace of 9:36.  She absolutely killed this run and I was glad we were able to be side by side the whole way.  Well except for my restroom stop.  We waited in the finish area for the rest of our group to meet up and we took our post race pictures on the football field at ASU.  Then we headed out to the post race vendor area.  I was hoping they had some food out there but all we got was a banana, oranges, gatorade, and water.  Luckily, Cliff had a vendor booth out there so I snagged a few trial size cliff bars and those helped out.

Great event, really glad we were a part of it.  There were a ton of people out there and that really played a factor in a few places on the course as things were funneled into a narrow gap and it made running without tripping pretty tough.  We hit our race goal and that was the biggest plus.  After words we all celegrated with a post race beer, yes we knew it was about 9am lol, and closed the books on the 10th Annual Pat's Run.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats to the Mrs on a fantastic race and meeting her goal! That's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she killed this run, she is pretty confident with our run this upcoming Sat.

      Delete
  2. Wow! that is an early wake call lol Great job on meeting your goal :) I usually stay in the P-O-John line until the race starts lol - I hate stopping! This will be fun the next several weeks reading you race recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wake up that early during the week for runs and work so no big deal for me, but that was REAL early for Mrs Schlub.

      I usually dont stop on the run but I drank too much waitin in our corral, cant make that mistake at our next race.

      Delete
  3. Great job to the Mrs.--It's fun hearing about your races!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job by you and Mrs. Schlub! 28 corals?!! It has grown a lot since I did it the first year, that's for sure! Glad the event is still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Schlub deserves all the credit, I was just along for the ride.

      Yeah 28 corrals, that is insane, we went off about 20/30 minutes after the first corral, ran the race, and hit the post race vendors. As we headed back to our ride home, there were still people running. Crazy!

      Delete
  5. YAY Mrs. Schlub!!!! And yay for you being such an awesome pacer :)

    I have dreams of my Mr. running races with me, but for now he's the best spectator I know :) I love that you guys run together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say I paced her but honestly I was just there to follow along, she deserves all the credit, she did amazing.

      You never know he could get out there, but if he doesnt there is nothing more important than being there to cheer you on. Ive been sidelined by injuries but i cheered as loud as I could for Mrs Schlub to let her know I was there for her.

      Delete
  6. Awesome job! I love hearing when people meet their goal! Congrats to all.

    Stop teasing your readers with "we took pictures," yet not posting them... says the blogger that posts six pictures for every sentence I write! HaHa! I do love pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting goals is the best, and it means even more when Mrs Schlub and I do it together.

      I know I know, Mrs Schlub was telling me the same thing about the pictures. I think I need to post them tomorrow.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!