Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Where Did My Legs Go??

I was super pscyhed to get out run yesterday.  I didnt really run since last Wednesday and the itch was unbearable, but I stayed the course and rested to let my ankle heal up.  When I got home from work yesterday, my legs just felt tired and a bit sore.  Regardless I needed to get out and run, grabbed my water, laced up the shoes and headed out with Buster.  As soon as the first quarter mile beeped on my Garmin, I knew this was going to be one of THOSE runs.

The bad ones!  I alternated walking and running for a total of 3 miles.  Final stats were 3 miles, 32 min 16 seconds, and a 10:44 min/mile pace.  I took the time off for my ankle but I also took the time off for my ITB issues and at this point I cant really tell if its still an issue or if its normal running aches and pains.  Need to continue to monitor this.

So.....what are the positives here??  My ankle felt great during the running portions, this is huge since I thought I did some real damage when I went down last week.  I did get out and run, so I can look at this as easing back into my training lol.  Just have to take it for what it is, get psyched for tonights run, and get over it.

How was your most recent running/exercise session?  How do you bounce back from a bad run/exercise session?

6 comments:

  1. I agree... Look at it as easing back into your running and being thankful that the ankle appears to be okay. Perhaps yesterday was just one of those days, and today's run will be better!

    I just got in from my run trying to beat the snow, and it was gorgeous. We already have about an inch so I'm glad I got my run in before it got too slippery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definately one of THOSE runs, the ones I like to forget lol.

      Way to beat the snow. We have a similar issue here in AZ but its beat the heat. In the coming months it will either be super early or super late runs to avoid the 100+ degree weather.

      Delete
  2. To bounce back from a bad run session I just remind myself that there are way more good days than bad days otherwise I wouldn't still be doing it! I also just try to think positively about a goal I am trying to achieve and use that as motivation to jump back in head first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to look at it, when I look back at my runs there are definately more good runs than bad runs. Just need to move past it and go to the next run.

      Delete
  3. I went running this am, and it was so-so--5 miles on somewhat tired legs. I knew I would be tired beforehand so I took my phone and listened to a podcast about trail running...hearing about Karl Meltzer and his multiple 100 mile races (of which he has won 50%!) and his recent run of the entire pony express route (I think it was 46 days of 50+ miles)...well it made my run easier. This week is a tough one as I am doing my usual mileage and then I run with the kids I coach for spring track in the afternoon. Luckily, it is around 2-3 miles slow paced to get them in shape to start...However, when speed work kicks in...
    Yes, you run to beat the heat, we run to stay warm and beat the snow. More predicted for tomorrow...(but being a northerner, I think I will take the cold...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ultra runners really are amazing. I just read about Ryan Sandes setting a new world record on the Drakensberg Grand Traverse. 207km in 41 hours 49 min, incredible.

      I would totally take advantage of running with the track kids if I could. I see it as accountability so the kids see you doing the same things they are doing.

      Yeah this heat is brutal in the summer, this will be our first summer as Runners so we will see how it goes lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!