Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Ultimate Pit Crew

We woke up early Saturday morning to drive out to The Phoenix Half Marathon.  My Fiance was running and I was pit crewing for her.  Originally the plan was for her to run, I would wait at the finish line and she would let me know if she needed anything along the way.  WELL.....Saturday had a lot of challenges.  We didnt get a whole lot of sleep, and it started raining about 30 minutes before the gun went off.  So I saw her from the starting line and quickly drove to the 2 mile aid station to make sure everything was ok along the run.  I ended up hitting every 2 mile aid station throughout the race which was a huge help to her. 

Saturday had its challenges and she did great in finishing the race regardless of those challenges.  For me, there is something special about seeing her challenge herself in these events, come out on top, and cross that finish line.  I get a lot of joy out of my own accomplishments, but there really is no other feeling compared to how I feel when I see my Fiance cross that finish line.

Do you get more joy out of your wife/husband/significant others accomplishments on race day?  What types of challenges have you encountered on race day that you were not expecting.

Plan is to get a recovery run in today.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, there is a great feeling you get seeing a loved one accomplish his/her goal. I enjoy hearing about my husband's race (we usually do the same races, and he finishes ahead of me). It's a really amazing feeling seeing your kids achieve their goals--and inspiring!
    Race day challenges...after years of running, I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a perfect race. There is always something...weather, sickness, injury, getting lost (don't ask)...that's the beauty of the sport, go with the challenges and make it your race!
    Congrats to your fiancé for her 1/2! I am sure she was glad to have your support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the day when the kids can run with us, all of us crossing the finish line together.

    I am starting to notice that something always throws a wrench into these races and you just have to roll with the punches.

    Huge accomplishment for her, I was just glad I was there to help her achieve this goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome you did that for her! What a great support to see a loving face at the water stops :) My hubby had a motorcycle accident so he can't do anything on his messed up foot anymore, but he does come every once in awhile to events with me. I am always happy when he does and it makes me faster because i feel guilty he's waiting lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the whole experience with her. Sorry to hear that about your husband.

      Delete
  4. CONGRATS to your fiance on becoming a half marathoner!!

    I agree that watching a loved one step up to a challenge is so rewarding. When Adam did Tough Mudder last year I think I had just as much fun as a spectator as I have had participating in my own events. It was so fun to go cheer him and the other participants on! Plus as a spectator I got to see the top athletes come in, which is something I always miss when I'm out on the course myself :) That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a huge accomplishment, I'm pretty jelousp lol. That was something I noticed as well. I was able to see the lead runners for the marathon chase down the half marathoners and those guys were amazing. Really had me in awe.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!