Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, March 28, 2014

Two Runs in One Day, WHAT??

The treadmill continues to be a huge success.  I jumped on last night and ran 3.17 miles at about 8:45 pace.  Best part was running the second mile at 7:30 pace.  I am going to keep doing these progression runs as I'm shooting for 7 min miles in the next 4 weeks.

Mrs Running Schlub had a Pump class last night and when she was done she called and asked if I was up for a quick run.  More running?  How would my knee hold up?  Of course I said yes!!  We jumped on the sidewalk and away we went.  My goal was to pace her about 11 min for the first mile, about 10:20 from 1 mile to 1.5 mile, then drop below 10 for the last half mile.  We just about nailed it, she felt really good about her run and I felt amazing because I have been telling her to let me pace her for a few weeks now.  Another takeaway was how much the treadmill is helping her speed.  She is really seeing some great improvements from the treadmill as well.

Honestly, some tightness in my ITB, but not to the severity that I usually feel.  I am still icing, stretching, and massaging throughout the day.  Starting today I begin my strengthening exercises.  We will see how this goes.

Do any of you double up on your exercises/runs?  How much time do you usually try to space them out if you are pulling double duty?

6 comments:

  1. I just started some double runs because of my coaching track--I usually run with the kids for safety and encouragement. However, my run with the kids is pretty short (1.5-3.5 miles) and fairly slow pace. The tricky part is the speed work--200m repeats or ladders--those usually are harder to double up on (the kids are quite fast on those)--but being the coach, I know when they are coming, so I lower the mileage on my am run to 3-4 miles and take it slow. My overall mileage increases during the season, but not necessarily to my advantage, because I am cutting back on my personal training mileage. However, I wouldn't trade it. It is a fun, rewarding experience. I get very inspired watching the kids improve, and it gives me such a mental lift and gets me really enthusiastic about running again. PLUS, I get to wear running clothes all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how the speed work would be tricky. My legs are usually done after speed work.

      Coaching is great. Ive been coaching youth sports for about 7 years now and you really get a sense of joy when you teach and the kids improve. Ive never taught track so maybe that is something I should look into. I guess I should know how to run first then I can teach others lol.

      Delete
  2. I have doubled up on runs only once before in my life. That was because I started a run on the treadmill inside my gym even though the A/C was out and it was the middle of summer. By mile 2 I was just suffocating from the stale air and heat. It was too hot to go run outside, so I went home and then finished up my daily miles with a night time run.

    Awesome that you can pace your fiance! Adam is too fast for me to run with him and he doesn't have the patience to pace me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive done it a couple times with trail runs on lunch then recovery runs at night, but never 30 minutes apart lol.

      We have two different speed as well but I have been looking forward to pacing her. I think it will be a good training tool for her if we can keep doing it. That along with the treadmill and she will see some huge improvements.

      Delete
  3. I double up in runs about this time of the year. I coach my sons CC team. I run in the mornings, getting my run down then I run with the kids. They are usually about 5-6 hours apart and I really baby myself afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coaching and running with the kids would be awesome. If my any of our kids ever get into running competatively I am definately taking the opportunity to coach or volunteer.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!