Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, March 14, 2014

Trying to Think More

I've been reading about other bloggers/runners who really take the time to think during their runs.  Think about life in general, any issues they have going on currently, enjoying the scenery they are running, and so many other thoughts during the run.  Lately I have found that I pretty much zone out during my runs.  To clarify, not zone out as in completely oblivious to traffic and other dangerous items for us runners or oblivious to possible injuries, but zone out as in all I'm thinking about is form, foot strike, etc.

Yesterdays run I really tried to think through my run and talk to myself. 

Pre Run: I really wanted to choose my route carefully.  I was running with daylight so I could run any route I wanted.  I chose a new route that primarily included dirt/gravel to minimize the impact on my knees.
Quarter Mile:My legs felt really heavy, the three days in a row of extra miles really had my legs sluggish today.  Just want to settle into a nice stride and try to relax.
1st Mile: First mile split was 8:12, much faster than I wanted it to be, I was tired from forcing the issue due to my legs feeling sluggish.  Pressed on just trying to get into a good rythm.  I was really liking the new route.  Except for a few steps around bushes I was on dirt/gravel the whole time.
One and a Quarter Mile: I realized I was looking down too much and I really needed to focus on looking out at the horizon the keep my head up.  Slowly my stride started to feel more smooth and I wasnt having to try as hard to crank my legs over.  Seemed like I was catching my breathe.
2nd Mile: Second mile split was 7:52, I was happy to see this as my stride felt really good during this mile.  I also happened past a few streets which led to the main street.  I always appreciate when cars WAIT for me to cross a street.  Dont know why this is a pet peeve of mine, it really makes me mad when I have to disrupt my run because some idiot is oblivious to runners on the sidewalks, another discussion another time lol.
3rd Mile: Third mile split was 8:25.  Much of this third mile was in a desert area and I spent most of my time weaving in and out of desert brush and jumping across some small wash areas.  Even had to stop and find ways through the brush at times.  Really pleased with that split due to the elements.  But at this point all I was thinking was get to mile 4 and you can shut it down.
4th Mile: Really shut it down during mile 4, split was 10:24.  I mixed in some walking and jogging because at this point my legs were definately tired and I was hitting some sidewalks and didnt want to put my knees through too much.  I even ran into a near dog attack during this mile.  NOT REALLY, I was running through one of the green belts in our neighborhood and a little dog about 2 pounds was chasing me and barking at me as I ran.  I tried to stop a few times and talk to him but he just ran off.  So I continued on my way, running on the grass is really nice and soft on my legs lol.

This was the first time I really thought through my run and talked myself through the different points.  A lot different than just putting my head down and running.  The one takeaway is how much I truly had my head down during my runs and how smooth my stride becomes if I look out at the horizon.  I think I'll keep this much detail for races moving forward but wanted to give it a try since I usually dont get this detailed in my run reports.

How much detail do you remember about your runs after you are done?  Do you think a lot during your runs or pretty much zone out like I do?

4 comments:

  1. My natural tendency is to zone out during runs. I run on a safe path away from cars for the most part, and on long runs I'll sometimes zone out so much I'll run a couple miles without realizing it. I love runs where that happens! I have noticed that I can run faster if I stay in the moment and concentrate though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should look at it as obsessiong instead of zoning out. I guess letting go and just running yesterday was more zoning out, not worrying about all the elements of my form and just letting my body take over. May need to rethink how I categorize this thought process lol

      Delete
  2. Great job on the run! You have a gift of speed for sure :) I wish I could zone out more, I tend to think about stuff too much. My last run with my run buddy would have irritated you for sure. We were crossing a pretty wide intersection, we were already a quarter of the way across when a car was approaching, the lady turned right into the lane where were didn't even brake. Couldn't have been more rude...
    It's good to think things through once in awhile to figure out what's working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being inconsiderate to runners/walkers/cyclists is really just moronic. Just shows how many bad drivers we have out there.

    I agree, thinking through runs more is really going to help me continue to progress in my training.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!