Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Greatest interview ever so I was happy to not recap my running.  So today is getting back to my training over the past couple days.  I know the title was the good, the bad, and the ugly but to clarify this really is just the good and the ugly lol.

THE GOOD:
Tuesday started out with a great buddy run.  Again I ran the 1.25 miles to his house, then together we ran about 1.6 miles.  His training is coming along well and I think next time we run together I'm going to push it up to two miles.  After I parted from the buddy, I started to head home but my legs felt pretty good.  Little tightness in my ITB but nothing out of the ordinary.  I took a different route home and ended up running another 3.15 miles for a total of 6 miles at 9:28 pace.  My legs felt great, I got into a smooth stride and I actually had no ITB pain when I was done.  Easily the best run I've had in weeks and I was on a super high when I was done, not only did I get in a good mid range run, but my knee felt great.

THE UGLY:
Feeding off Tuesdays great run, I headed out last night for a nice little 5K.  Something in my stride right now is really working because I was able to run on the sidewalk for most of the run without any ITB issues.  I came out hard and knocked out the first two miles at a pretty good pace.  The plan was to shut it down for the third mile and take it easy headed home.  At the 3 mile mark I decided to take a different route home through our neighborhood and get in one more mile.  THIS IS WHERE THINGS WENT BAD.  I mixed in some jogging/walking on this alternate route.  As I got closer to home I did my normal thing, stayed in the gravel/grass to minimize the pounding on my knees.  Last little retention area before I got home WHEN IT HAPPENED.....

My right foot came down on either a pine cone or rock, rolled my ankle pretty bad, and I WENT DOWN.  Now, playing sports all my life I've rolled my ankles hundreds of times, I think I have poor circulation due to the amount of twisted ankles I have had.  Yet, I have never gone all the way to the ground, and that is what happened yesterday.  I got up, started to walk around (while yelling curse words lol) and eventually subsided some of the pain.  I was able to hobble home to complete the run.  Humbly sat in a chair, ice wrapped around my knee and ankle, for the remainder of the night lol.  So at this point the plan is to take the next few days off, see how I am feeling on Sunday and go from there. 

I like to think I got a little bit too greedy but at the same time, Shit Happens, dust yourself off, heal up, and get ready for the next run.  I have been loving trail runs, I've seen what can happen on those runs, so this could easily happen on one of those trails.  Not to mention, I'm sure MANY runners have tougher injuries than a twisted ankle or ITB pain so I'm not going to gripe about it, I'll recover and be back at it in no time.

Anybody have any big injuries recently?  How long was your recovery time?

6 comments:

  1. Ouch, hope your ankle is feeling better soon!

    Reminded me of this story where Scott Jurek ran the Hardrock 100 with a sprained ankle and not only won but claimed a new course record!

    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6391186#axzz2wVzYUsrA

    (yes, any time I have the opportunity to bring a conversation back to scott I will, haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an amazing story. Definately uplifting and keeps me in a good mood after yesterdays events. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. That stinks...remember RICE
    and you can still bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately using the RICE method.

      Great idea, I could totally bike if I'm still having some discomfort in the coming days.

      Delete
  3. That stinks you went down! Hopefully icing did it's thing and you feel okay. I run a lot of trails and I have only gone down once, but I caught a tree root and went for a sail. I landed hard and was worried, but I ran the next day and it was fine. My ego was worse than the bruise lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...its funny how that works cause i was definatley more embarrased than worried about the injury after the fact. Icing has been great and I should be running again tonight.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!