Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The "Dreadmill" is now the "Friendmill"

So Mrs. Running Schlub has been wanting a treadmill for the past few weeks.  We are quickly approaching the summer months here in AZ where runs at 6am and 9pm will still be in the 90 degree area.  So I am well aware of the need for a treadmill but I have always been against them, they are boring and I just feel more free when I run outside.  Well last night things started to change lol.

She found a great deal on craigslist with someone who just wanted to "Get Rid" of their equipment.  Treadmill is in great shape and looks to be an excellent investment on her part.  Of course I needed to "try it out" to make sure it was working properly and that it wasnt going to cause her any problems.  Running on the treadmill last night was one of the best things I've felt in a while.

For those that read, I have been battling ITB issues for months now and there was not the slightest twinge, tightness, or pain in my ITB while running on the treadmill last night.  I felt so good I ramped that treadmill speed up and was running at 7:30 mile pace for a portion of the run.  I cant tell you how good it felt to Go Fast!  Its still very boring to sit there and watch TV while you run but this really could be the savior to my running career, atleast in the near future lol.

Overall I got in about a mile on the treadmill in two 1/2 mile portions.  Then Buster and I went for a bike ride last night and knocked out 2 miles at 7 min pace.  Our little guy had his first little league game so we were strapped for time.  Training to resume tonight!

How much training do you do on the treadmill?  How do you make the time pass by when you are running on the treadmill?

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you guys got a great deal on a treadmill!

    We have similar weather here during the summer and from May - Sept. I do sooooo much of my running on the treadmill. I try to do at least one day outdoors just so I don't lose my feel for it, but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a great job of searching for a good deal. Really owe her big time.

      That is the part I need to get used to, running on the treadmill for an hour or something like that. I'm sure I'll find a groove, if it keeps me from getting injured, I'll find a way to run on the thing lol

      Delete
  2. I am coming off treadmill season here...I will watch a movie, although if you pick a bad one, it can make a long run worse! I do a lot of speed workouts on the mill...400m repeats etc. I also quiz my kids on their spelling words...have them quiz me when they are studying for a test ( the reverse studying concept)....happy running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A movie might be a good idea. I've already told the Fiance that speedwork will be great on the treadmill, I think it will really help improve our splits.

      Delete
  3. When I had ITB issues I was told to walk backwards on the treadmill...it pulls in your hip extensors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Havent heard this one before. I've got stretches I do and now I use a foam ball instead of a foam roller because I read yesterday foam rolling is bad when you have an injured ITB. I am going to try this tonight.

      How is the blog coming along?

      Delete
  4. Ooh the treadmill... love/hate relationship here. :) The more I do it, the easier it gets to put on the miles. Yay for no ITB pain! Have you been doing strengthening exercises for your hips/glutes/quads/hamstrings outside of running? This helped to cure my IT band issues because they were from an imbalance issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in the same boat, the more I do it the easier it will get.

      I knew someone would bring up the exercises lol. After every run I ice, stretch, and (WAS) foam rolling. I could definately use some strength training but just get so lazy when it comes to that. Do you have any posts related to overcoming your IT Band issues so I can get an idea of what exercises to do?

      Delete
  5. Wow, I can't wait to have my dreadmill transform into my friendmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL its a friendship based on necessity. The dreadmill is boring and monotonous but the frendmill doesnt hurt my ITB and allows me to run at a pace I feel confident at. In a sense the friendmill allows me to feel like a runner again.

      Delete
  6. My gym has wifi, so I have been watching netflix on the treadmill. It HELPS pass the time, but I still avoid the treadmill whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I enjoy blogs, all the great feedback. I didnt even think about firing up the iPad and using that. There are TONS of movies I'd love to watch that nobody in the house cares to watch with me lol. Trying this tonight for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!