Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Still Learning

Couple things over the past couple days make me realize that the more I get into this crazy sport we call "running," I still have a lot to learn. 

1) I was sick over the last weekend so I was struggling to get a run in on Monday.  I ended up getting in a quick trail run on my lunch break for just over 2 miles.  That night all I did was go home, medicate myself, and went to bed.  Well the past couple days I have been feeling some tightness in my ITB especially after my run yesterday.  After yesterdays run I did some stretching but did not do my entire post run routine.  Last night completed a recovery run, came home and went through my entire post run routine (ice, stretch, foam roll) and my ITB was feeling A LOT better.  So as much as I think I know everything, man I still have a lot to learn lol.

2) Last night I completed a 4 mile recovery run.  This was a true recovery run and not one of the progressive runs that I've been completing the last couple weeks.  I was able to keep my pace well above race pace the entire time and I even mixing in some walking at certain points.  This was completely necessary to get my legs stretched out, keeping the pounding on my knees to a minimum, and continuing to get my legs used to more miles.  I can already see the benefits of running an actual recovery run and plan to stick to this plan each week.

Have you had that "Ah Ha" moment and realized that there is so much to learn in this "Running" thing?  What is something you learned well into your running career?

4 comments:

  1. Like you, I learned the importance of stretching and strengthening...I still struggle with that--I always manage to fit the runs in, I have to make an effort and take the extra time for the "recovery". The older I get, the more important it is.

    Another 'light bulb" moment--nutrition and fueling for runs (Hydration too). I never really knew how important it was to refuel during a long run, until my husband suggested it. He has a biking background, and I think bikers are more in tuned to staying hydrated and fueled...I still have a lot to work on in that area. A goal of mine is to get more into ultras, and from my first experience I was ill prepared and paid the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I use to go out and run, then just rest. I use to think I could run any amount of time for any distance and be fine. Wow was I wrong lol.

      I am starting to look into fueling. Right now I use water and jelly belly energy beans. As I look into the half marathon and marathon more, I am going to need some type of fuels along the way for something like that.

      Delete
  2. I can tolerate a "gu" for a long run (over 10). But I found for the ultras "real food" is better. Even the aid stations have different choices, the usual orange slices, pbj, bananas, Swedish fish, pretzel rods, coke--and some "new" to me ones--olives, raw potatoes to dip in salt, and Gatorade and water. I didn't venture out of my comfort zone, which was 2 honey stingers (I brought) and Gatorade. At the last 3 miles I had coke which I stirred with a pretzel rod to get the salt off--having practiced with a higher caloric intake would have been REALLY helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess each person has their own preference but I have seen a trend when it comes to the ultra marathons like you said. I've watched videos and read blogs and a lot of them use real food so there must be some added benefit.

      Good to stay in your comfort zone, I've read all over that changing diet and fuel is bad news so I try to stay away from that as well.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!