Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Starting To See the Light

The tunnel was dark there fore a while but now I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Had a fantastic work out last night, havent had this type of workout in a while.

Started with 3.5 miles on the treadmill at 8:29 min/mile pace.  Overall higher than where I want to be in the coming weeks but there were a lot of things going on here.  I started by warming up over the first 1/4 mile at 12 min pace.  The second mile was ran at 7:30 min pace which really took a lot of energy out of me.  Then I finished up the last mile and a half around the 8:30 pace.  Great run, had minimal tightness in my ITB so I still feel confident this treadmill thing is going to work.  The hardest part is getting over the monotony, but Duck Dynasty helped me through that last night and hopefully I continue to build confidence through repetition.

Finished with a 2 mile bike ride with Buster.  My faithful running buddy is falling by the wayside as I transition to the treadmill.  So around 7pm/8pm he is a bit ancy looking for us to go out and run.  He has a lot of energy so if we dont give him some exercise before bed he will be up all night.  So we jumped on the bike, knocked out a couple miles, and he was done for the rest of the night.

So overall had 3.5 miles running and 2 miles riding.  Pretty good night and I'm super excited for our race coming up next month.  We have around 4 weeks until The Pat Tillman Run and I'd like to get down to 7 min/mile pace over the 4.2 miles.  We will see how my body feels later tonight to determine if I run or just go for a bike ride to shake out my legs.

What are your training goals for your upcoming race or just in the coming weeks/months?

4 comments:

  1. Goals...I would like to knock out a fast mile (not in a race or anything) maybe 7:10 ish. I would like to knock my race pace for distances of 10k-13.1 to be below 8--maybe 7:40ish...Guess I have to be more diligent with the speed work now that I said that...
    I think biking with your dog is a great idea. I walk my dogs a quick 1/2 mile lap around the 'hood when I finish running, and I think it really helps with my recovery.
    Blog--that would take me having to figure things out on the computer--we are barely on speaking terms. I should ask the kids...
    ITB exercises
    On hands and knees: fire hydrants (just like it says...) and leg extensions/lifts
    I use an exercise band for "monster" walking...Get an ex band stand with your feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, put band under feet and cross it in front of you, hold ends in each hand at hips. Walk forwards keeping your legs shoulder width apart...advanced=same thing backwards and with a tighter band. (kids think this is hilarious--)
    Clam shells--lie on your side, hips stacked, knees bent, keep heels together and lift top knee up towards ceiling, seems easy until you do several...
    Glad you are enjoying the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great goals, and yes you will need to work on that speed work.

      The blog will be simple, once you get it up and running you just need to update here and there. Remember accountability.

      Great exercises, I am going to start doing some at some point this week.

      Delete
  2. Not to be a major grammar freak, but it is "fallen by the wayside," not "waste side."

    And if I have not offended you too much, congrats on the running progress! You are rocking it. I bet you do need a treadmill big time down in AZ. I was there a month ago and it was already so hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, I've been saying that incorrectly for about 25 years now lol.

      Yup, this will be our first "Running" summer here so it will be a work in progress to get our miles in the next few months.

      Oh thats right, you got a good tour of AZ too going down to Tucson then to Phoenix. Too bad you didnt get up to Sedona or Flagstaff, those are really the running/hiking destinations. Great weather and great scenery.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!