Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ramping up the Miles

After my Fiance's race on Saturday, seeing her do such an amazing job and seeing the runners that completed the marathon, it just urged me more to complete the half marathon and maybe the full marathon.

Sunday I woke up early and knocked out 8 miles before the kids were up.  Honestly, these 8 miles kicked my butt pretty good.  That is the longest I have run in a single run and my body has been pretty sore.  To give my body some rest time, I skipped a run on my lunch break yesterday, but ran 4 recovery miles last night.  As you can see, I'm starting to RAMP UP THE MILES.

I finished February with a total of 46.60 miles.  My plan for March is about 25 - 30 miles per week, I think this will give me a good base to work towards the half marathon. 

Now last night I had a hard time with my recovery run and perhaps some of you have went through this as well.  I wanted to keep my pace between 9 and 10 minutes per mile.  Well sure enough around mile two, my legs are warmed up, the soreness is gone, and I start to speed up.  End up running the third mile at an 8:34/mile pace.  After words when I was stretching and icing, I was asking myself, why cant I just keep the slow pace for the full run and be ok with the slower speed?  Why do I need to show myself that my legs are feeling good or that I can speed up if I wanted to?

Have you ever set a pace for your run and find yourself speeding up time for no apparent reason?  What does your training plan have for weekly miles right now?

Going to skip the trail run on lunch again today with another 4 mile recovery run tonight.

8 comments:

  1. I always start slow and finish at a faster pace and go by "feel" for my long runs. My long runs I set out to do as "Long, slow distance", which the pace varies, but I don't "push it" even if I feel good. I feel I have a "set pace" of the 8:34 (for me it is one of the buttons on my treadmill), and if I do speed work for a while (weeks) I can reset it to a faster pace. But that pace is my "happy pace" of working, but not pushing too hard. To make sure I go slower, on long runs, sometimes running with a friend and chatting helps.

    Weekly mileage--about 25. It's too cold here to do more, and I feel like that is pushing it enough now. I find I need 2 days off (not in a row) the older I get, it takes longer to recover, and be injury free. I also need to spend way more time stretching, icing, and strengthening than ever before. I am trying to learn to cross train, but it is hard when running is just "my thing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticking to the plan is tough. I just need to be more disciplined and track my pace. I dont want to do anything that leads to an injury.

      Lately I have spent a lot of time icing and stretching. I think it is really helping so the plan is to continue that process even more as I increase my milage.

      Delete
  2. You have to build to those distances with caution. I've only running a little over a year now so the experience is fresh in my mind. I would do the same "longer" distance for a few weeks before adding a mile. Each week I would do a short speedier run (5K) and then do a time run...I wouldn't worry about speed I would just run for 45 min. then I stretched it to an hour after a few weeks and of course the long run on weekends. I only averaged under 15 miles a week for a few months before I started averaging 20 miles a week. I usually run 70 to 80 miles a month now. I still never run more than 4 days a week, i am old I need the recovery time lol It helps to not go speedy those first few months of long runs. Your body needs time to adjust then you can start working the speed :) Good luck, I am sure you will have a super first half experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats good advise, as you recently experienced this process, your feedback helps. As I worked back from my ITB pain, it was taking runs where I included walking to work back slowly. As I increase these miles I may need to add some of that in as my body gets used to the activity. I am eyeing your 70 to 80 miles a month, I would be happy with that.

      Delete
    2. I always find good stretch routines on Youtube. I found a few simple hip ones that helped me through. Cheers to conquering that pain and enjoying the run!

      Delete
    3. Youtube is my go to as well. I got all my ITB stretches from there, and with the lack of pain I've had recently, I'm loving those videos.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the 8-miler!

    I would definitely be careful with adding to your weekly mileage. It's recommended to increase your mileage by 10% each week to stay injury free:

    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/10-percent-rule

    This is what I did and aside from some ITB issues and a tight hip every once in a blue moon, I have been injury free since I started running in June 2012.

    I love progression runs and usually speed up as my run goes along. I think if you like speeding up you should start super slow and then build up to your goal pace for the day... and also set a specific day to do actual speed work. That way you can remind yourself on the other days that you need to save your legs because speedwork day is going to hurt and you need to be as fresh as possible for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to watch the milage, most of these added miles are going to be super slow just to get my body use to longer runs. Had another profression run last night and I think they are going to become the norm so I can monitor how my body is feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!